Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to find this info on oil in a VL800/C/T manual. Is this the correct maual for an '06 C50? If so here's what I found...

The manual says:

ENGINE OIL
Oil quality is a major contributor to your engine’s performance and life. Always select good quality engine oil. Suzuki recommends the use of SUZUKI PERFORMANCE 4 MOTOR OIL or equivalent engine oil. Use oil with an API
(American Petroleum Institute) classification of SF/SG or SH/SJ, or with a JASO classification of MA.

API: American Petroleum Institute
JASO: Japanese Automobile
Standards Organization
SAE Engine Oil Viscosity
Suzuki recommends the use of
SAE 10W-40 engine oil.

I'm wondering...

Where will I find the classifications? I remember my uncle always telling me to look for some sort of graphic of a seal with some writing in it? Is this what he's talking about? Should I just buy the Suzuki oil? I saw 4 qts @ $37.99. What other oils are out there? Are additives useful?

Looking forward to what you have to say about these things. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
simple, buy any quality oil with a JASO MA rating (on the label) and you don't have to worry about it.

in ohio, you should be fine year round with 10w40.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
You will find the oil API rating on the back of the bottle. Use ANY oil that is JASO MA or MA2 rated and you will be fine. If you really want to take the guesswork out of it, just purchase motorcycle specific oil. Yes, there is a formulaic difference between motorcycle and automotive oil and no, you cannot combine the two or use on in place of the other. It has to do with additives and friction modifiers in the auto oil that will destroy your wet clutch.

Do not, repeat, do not add any sort of additives to your crankcase. Use the oil god gave you. If he wanted the additives put in there he would have added them at the factory. Additives are a quick way to separate you from your money on snake-oil.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
i prefer whale oil

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
Nah. Oil from pressed baby seals is best... Especially those that were clubbed to death first. You can really smell the fear in the exhaust.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
why club em? press em live

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Please allow me to explain it.
A note first. Moly is bad for your clutch. Extra Zinc= extra wear protection, except zinc will kill a catalytic converter over time.

If you plan on selling the bike soon. Use cheapest dollar general 10-40 (or anything above sae30) you can find.

If you bought the bike from someone that planned on selling the bike soon, you might need 50, 60 or even 70 weight oil. That is if it will crank.

If you plan on keeping the bike see above ^.

If you're insecure about most things in life, buy the most expensive oil available and change it every 2000 miles.

If you're older than 30 years and are hard-headed buy dino oil and change it every 3000 miles. Many on here do that.

I use Mobil one V-twin for 5000 miles. I was insecure about that until I had a certified lab test my used oil and tell me it was good for at least 7500 miles.

Truth is, there is no bad oil. You can buy the wrong oil. Stay away from the thin stuff unless you live above Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts