Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 Volusia; the right side chrome cover. Oil is leaking from around the head of the bolt located just to the left of the oil fill plug. Looking for a quick remedy - something to put under the bolt head to seal off the small leak that streaks down the side of my nice chrome cover.

Thanks for any help,
Mark

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
High temp black RTV. Remove the bolt and clean any oil off the bolt, put some rtv in the hole and replace the bolt, tighten it up. Watch for a leak after riding a few miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tool Guy. I will give it a try.
One question: Will the RTV cause me any problemls later if I have to take the bolt back out because of any adhesion?

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
No, rtv won't be a problem, it dries to a rubbery substance that is easily removed at a later date.
great idea. think it would be rubbery enough that it could be used to plug a little leak coming from around the shifter shaft on the clutch side? it would have to be supple enough to still let the shifter rod rotate in it. (i hate to take that whole side cover off to replace that little o-ring gasket.)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If you're talking about where the shifter comes out the case on the left side, I'd say no. I think that is a seal mounted in the case not a o-ring. Either way the bolt on the right side is fixed and tightened up, it'll work there but on the shifter I don't see that happening. Buy a gasket and seal and change it out, wait until the next oil change because you have to drop the oil to remove the cover.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
If you're talking about where the shifter comes out the case on the left side, I'd say no. I think that is a seal mounted in the case not a o-ring. Either way the bolt on the right side is fixed and tightened up, it'll work there but on the shifter I don't see that happening. Buy a gasket and seal and change it out, wait until the next oil change because you have to drop the oil to remove the cover.
:) Yeah, I know that's what I need to do. I just saw your tip for the bolt, and I never used the rtv, so I was like, hmmm... :lol: I had to replace the side cover a few months ago and didn't notice the leak until after a few miles with the new one on there. I shoulda replaced that while I had it off.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had the same leak in apparently the same bolt by your description. The dealership put a seal/gasket behind it and so far it has solved the problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tool Guy

Just wanted to say thanks Tool Guy for the tip on the leak. RTV Worked like a charm. No more leaky leaky. :-D

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having the same problem, same bolt since it went into the shop to put in Barnett clutch plates- also seems to be oil leaking out the top- i'm wondering if it's overfill too, have to go check the levels ( with some help as always- groan) and the air filter :(
I am wondering if i should have had a new gasket also at the time the plates were changed. Will try this fix in the meantime- where can i get this stuff in Canada, any idea?
thanks!
-JJ

·
Registered
19,724 Posts
There's lots of places online that ships to Canada. The OP had his leak on the right side( as you're sitting on it. Yours seems to be on the other. If you had the clutch replaced, sounds like they used the old gasket instead of a new one. Could be they just didn't get the bolts torqued correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks much. Nope the right side (sitting on the bike). i don't have a torque wrench -(yet) -can i hand tighten or go shall i go back the the shop? Have a 12 - 18 hr round trip ride coming up and want to get it looked after . TIA
-JJ

·
Registered
19,724 Posts
If it started leaking after they had it apart, make them honor their work. Those bolts are torqued in inch- pounds and can break fairly easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts