Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back i had an oil filter seize onto the engine,(dont ask why) any how today when i was doing an oil change I noticed the end of the Stud the filter screws into was stripped out. This happened when i removed the sezied filter. I was able to get a KN oil filter on the last couple times i changed the oil. Today however was a different story. Cant get it on. Does anyone know how to change the stud out and where i can get it.

Thanks

·
Administrator
52,327 Posts
Factory part number, part name, part price.

16591-06B01 UNION, OIL STAND 1 $4.62

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
A while back i had an oil filter seize onto the engine,(dont ask why) t..............................................................................................................................................................

Thanks
Let me guess Fram, right part number, right alphabet soup for the filter...BUT... wrong threads on the filter and you didn't catch it till it was too late. (I got the Fram, right box, wrong threads filters...TWICE!!)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Close, An idoit that did the oil change for me that time put the filter on waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too tight. Hoepfully with just under 15$ in parts i can have it fixed correctly.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would do the conversion if I were you. Then you can use a much better, much easier to acquire, and less expensive filter than what the factory threads allow.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
Please do NOT put automotive filters on your motorcycle.......

Your bike operates at a relatively low oil pressure, driven by a mechanical pump. Automotive oil filters certainly DO a better job of filtering the oil, but the trade off is decreased oil flow and increased crankcase pressures.... You can oil starve the upper cylinders by using the wrong filter and too thick of an oil. Stick with what Mr. Suzuki intended you use and ride happy.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
im gonna put some wood onto the fire.
I ran car filters on my Kawasaki Vulcan 750 all the time and didnt see any negative results. many people (most of them without suzukis) run car filters, and the vstrom guys.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
I know they do. But if you were to put an oil pressure gauge on the bike, you'd see the negative impact it has on the system. Automotive systems operate at nearly 3 times the pressure with more volume to boot. Do as you will. I'll stick with using the filters that the bike was intended to work with.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I would do the conversion if I were you. Then you can use a much better, much easier to acquire, and less expensive filter than what the factory threads allow.
Contrary to popular opinion.......

''Automotive'' oil filters are not better at filtering than the OEM Suzuki filter or the NAPA replacement filter. I have compared the specs though I didn't keep them all I do know that the NAPA replacement filters down to 20 microns. There are NO full flow engine oil filters that will do better than that. The main difference between any two filters for any engine application will be in the following

• the material used to make the anti-drain back valve
  • the amount of pleated paper used to for the filter media.. (square inches)
  • the method of mounting the ends of the pleated paper
Any filters you find that might be ''cheaper'' to buy will have lower quality in those areas. Other than that THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE!! By the time you buy and install the adapter, you've lost the financial advantage in the short term.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Here is something to think about... I buy my oil filters from the dealer. Why? because I want a relationship with the dealer and parts guys. I'm not some stranger asking for help on a dealer item or technician issue. They know me by site and wallet. They stored my bike when it was totaled in a wreck and swapped out a rear fender for a hit and run incident. yes, the filters are priced high but I prefer the brand and the relationship...

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Here is something to think about... I buy my oil filters from the dealer. Why? because I want a relationship with the dealer and parts guys. I'm not some stranger aksing for help on a dealer item or technician issue. They know me by site and wallet. They stored my bike when it was totaled in a wreck and swapped out a rear fender for a hit and run incident. yes, the filters are priced high but I prefer the brand and the relationship...
Well said! I have a great relationship with my Dealer, and he has done "all" the work on my bike. Sure, I could take it someplace else, or try to do it myself, but when it comes right down to it, he's there for me in a pinch!

If I called the Service Desk and inquired about booking my bike in, it might be a few days, to a week ...........and that could even be for just an oil change.
If I call the guy I deal with, I can get it in right away, I walk into his office and leave the keys with him, and I go for a coffee.

Yes, it's all about service, and the relationship you have with the Dealer.

I'm pretty happy with what I've got. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

That's just one example of what I'm talking about. There are multiple sites that reference that the so-called "car" filter, even though it has the EXACT SAME SPECS as the Suzuki-specific filter, is far superior.

But, hey, it's just an oil filter. Do what you please. All I can tell you is personal experience. I run Purolators on the Suzuki, my Honda dragbike and also on my Honda sportbike. The sportbike has over 50,000 miles and has been running "car" filters since the initial break-in was complete. I also run diesel truck oil in all the bikes as well (Shell Rotella or Mobil Delvac). All three of those bikes are on the original clutch also.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. Stuck with the original cause I have. Stock of napa and k&n filters. Plus don't really see need to convert to bigger filter. Plus less than 10 is what it cost me to so the fix not 25+ for the conversion. So off to ride. Be safe out there and keep the rubber side down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I know they do. But if you were to put an oil pressure gauge on the bike, you'd see the negative impact it has on the system. Automotive systems operate at nearly 3 times the pressure with more volume to boot. Do as you will. I'll stick with using the filters that the bike was intended to work with.
They actually both operate at about the same pressure, but different volumes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
?????
The stock filter costs MORE than a car filter??? WTF?
With tax the identical to stock filters I run are right at $10 (having ditched Fram PH6018 for Purolator ML16818 after the wrong threads incidents which was also right at $10)

Here's what fits with no modifications...don't see why there'd be any need to mess around with an adapter.
AMSOil SMF 109
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138
NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
NAPA PS7937
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
VESRAH vsf-3009
WIX 57937

·
Administrator
52,327 Posts
Linked below, is a filter that is almost exactly like the Factory Emgo filter; I've been using these for years......
Order together with three or four members in Your 10-20 zone, and split the shipping.

BikeBandit.com Oil Filter - BikeBandit.com

·
Registered
45 Posts
dfinitydisturbed - would you elaborate on your problems with the Fram 6018 oil filter. Are you saying you got 'a' 6018 filter with the wrong threads or are you saying 'all' 6018 Fram filters have the wrong threads?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts