Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone mentioned in a thread here that 'these engines' (I'm assuming C50s) have a history of using oil and once they start, they never stop.

My question if that is true is: At what mileage does this condition show up?

I had never heard this before so was curious what others thought about it.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
First of all, don't worry about it. If it happens, it happens, there is nothing you can do about it. Second, there is no rhyme or reason behind why some engines use oil and others don't. There has been a great deal of conjecture and strongly worded opinions as to the root cause, but in reality nobody has ever done an engineering analysis to determine IF they start, when the do, or why that happens.

Some bikes begin using oil at an early stage (under 20k miles). Others don't develop the condition until well beyond 50k miles. But once it starts, it won't get better on its own and it is not inexpensive to fix.

Worried? Keep an eye on your oil level every day (that's something you're supposed to do anyway). Ride the bike, put it away. The next morning, look in the sight glass. Still full? You're golden. Down a bit? Top it up and ride it some more. Get a feel for if and how much you're using.

Most of the premature engine deaths I've seen over the years have been from oil starvation. The owner simply neglected to check his fluid levels, was burning the oil and never realized it and ran the crank case dry. You can avoid this by checking the level frequently and adding as necessary.

When it gets bad (you're using more than a quart every 3k miles) it is time to consider a rebuild or a replacement. When that happens is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Like Scrap said......if it happens it happens. I bought mine new and from day one it used oil. I had to add oil before the 600 mile oil change. Never got any better. I just carried a couple of quarts with me on any trip. Traded the bike with 25K on it and it still used a quart every 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have 9K on my 50 and 7K on my 90. Neither one burns a drop of oil. been using Mobil 1 fully sun since day 1. Same with all my cars and trucks and off-road bikes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The one I have uses some somewhere, but I do not know where. I have put about 2k on it since I bought it and had it fall as low as halfway between full and add lines on the sight glass. Does not seem to burn it since I smell none and see no blue smoke, but it goes somewhere. Neither of my Kawasakis or my Honda burn a drop.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I am old, set in my ways and anal.

Before every ride, she goes up on the lift for a tire check and I check the oil while it up there.

Empty oil sump and low tires are something I can do without.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Same here. I check tire pressure, oil level, and chains on my two chain-driven bikes. This is every ride, every time. A blown tire due to low pressure scares the hell out of me. I mean it takes what, a minute to check two tires? Maybe a few more to air them up if needed!

Also, the thought of running out of oil and having the engine lock-up and put me into a skid at 65mph scares me. As does the thought of it locking and exploding, possibly ripping off my legs as it does so. No thanks, I'll check my oil!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Mine is like a couple of older bikes I've had, it starts to use a bit about when it's due for an oil change. I've changed to full synthetic to see if it makes a difference.

On a more serious note we have 2 guys on our local forum that have had late model engines fail with no history of oil use, and more of a worry, no warning lights for low oil pressure. Suzuki is looking at one as we speak.

·
Registered
579 Posts
oil usage

I watch this thread and am beginning to wonder. I bought my bike new (2012 C50T) it only has 850 miles on it (5 when I bought it) It went in for service at 650. Since then I've had to add a full quart of oil a little at a time. It had the oil changed at service and was full when I got it back.
I cannot see any blue smoke, no drips on the floor (it has it's own garage)
and I don't ride it hard.
I've been using Valvoline 10-40 (for mc's)
What does everyone think about going to Mobil 1? Suppose it would help?

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
I hate to say it, but you've just got 'one of those engines'. Just keep checking and adding when necessary. There's nothing you can do and Suzuki will deny any problem, saying 'some' oil consumption is 'normal'.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
150 Posts
if the valvoline is full synthetic i dont think changing brands is going to help. I just did my first oil change (bought it a few weeks ago with 2137 now has around 2500) and i used Castrol full synthetic for vtwin MC engines 20-50, of course the temp never drops very low around here. I will be certainly keeping my eye on it now though. i never really checked my yamaha cause its brand new and had a service 2000 miles ago but i will now :)

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
After my newly purchased 09 warmed up I rode it full throttle between shifts for 10 miles, being careful to NOT over-rev it.

Does not use oil.

From what I'm reading here on this forum(s), those who baby their new engines are adding oil.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I think my 05 always used a quart about every 2000 to 2500 miles. I consider it a good thing because it tells me it's time to change the oil. I only top it off if I'm going somewhere and I don't have time to change it.
Remember you have an engine that only has 2 rings and 1 oil seal per cylinder. When running, oil is pumped up to lube the valves that open and close 4 times per cycle. Some oil is bound to go by the valves and burn in the cylinder with the gas. Then some gas will go by the rings and seal and go into the crank. Now your running with diluted oil. Diluted oil is thinner than fresh oil making it even more probable to run past the ring set. That maybe why you'll notice faster oil usage as the mileage increases between changes.

So just shut up and change the oil :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
+1

One of the problems with oil usage is it tends to get one into the habit of adding oil rather than changing oil. Often the added oil is a higher viscosity than is recommended by the manufacturer. Both of these conditions can result in too high oil pressure indicating reduced oil flow thru small passages a dangerous problem of possible insufficient lubrication to critical bearing parts.:evil: Dirty oil and oil with higher than recommended viscosity leads to clogging and insufficient flow of oil to critical bearing via the small oil passages to these parts which results in too high oil pressure. I think the oil light only comes on for low oil pressure not too high pressure.

Proper pressure (50 – 92 psi) at 3 000 r/min., Oil temp. at 60°C (140°F)

Installing an oil pressure gauge is a good way to track oil pressure and help with proper oil maintenance.:wayhappy: We use to call it getting rid of the idiot lights.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
I hate to say it, but you've just got 'one of those engines'. Just keep checking and adding when necessary. There's nothing you can do and Suzuki will deny any problem, saying 'some' oil consumption is 'normal'.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Scrap's on the money again........when I took mine back to the stealer that's exactly what they told me..........I thought (still do) that a quart every 500 miles was a bit "too" much.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Using the right oil is crucial, as Red stated. I have seen guys dump 20W-50 into their machines and I cringe. I run 15W-40 in all four of my bikes, Shell Rotella. Does an awesome job and it doesn't have those additives that cause clutch slippage. Kawasaki guys swear by it in their old machines and that is what got me hooked. None of my bikes call for synthetic (unless the VL800 does, which I have not heard yet), so I do not run it. I just change oil and filter every 2,500mi.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Scrap's on the money again........when I took mine back to the stealer that's exactly what they told me..........I thought (still do) that a quart every 500 miles was a bit "too" much.
Sounds like you needed a valve job or possibly you had a bad oil ring or something 500 miles per quart is not normal for these bikes. Sounds like your dealer needs a new mechanic if that's what they told you

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Same here. I check tire pressure, oil level, and chains on my two chain-driven bikes. This is every ride, every time. A blown tire due to low pressure scares the hell out of me. I mean it takes what, a minute to check two tires? Maybe a few more to air them up if needed!

Also, the thought of running out of oil and having the engine lock-up and put me into a skid at 65mph scares me. As does the thought of it locking and exploding, possibly ripping off my legs as it does so. No thanks, I'll check my oil!
Really? Every ride? It may be the right thing to do, but if I spent 2 minutes checking tire pressure every time I threw a leg over the seat, I would spend 30 minutes a week checking tire pressure, which to me borders on a weird paranioa. The scenarios you describe (blown tire due to low pressure, exploding motor causing dismemberment from low oil) are so unlikely as to be unrealistic in my opinion, that I don't lose sleep over them. I do check the oil in the bikes, and the lights, and the tires, and the cable operations, every week or two, but generally rely on visually looking to see if anything is amiss when I walk up to the bike.
My wife and I have put a combined 20-25,000 miles annually on our bikes over the past 8 years and have had one flat tire (from a pinched tube right after a new tire install) and nothing else mechanically causing an issue that remotely came close to a catastrophe.
Glad you take your safety and the safety of those around you seriously, and that is genuine. I am just a bit more relaxed, I guess.
As to the oil consumption question, my experience with my Volusia was that it started using oil around 20k, and only really used a lot during long trips on the road (300+ mile days at highway speeds). Other than that, I would add a quart consistently every 1500 miles or so. I just learned to check it frequently, top it off as needed, and changed it every 3-4000 miles. Stayed that way until I sold it somewhere around 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I watch this thread and am beginning to wonder. I bought my bike new (2012 C50T) it only has 850 miles on it (5 when I bought it) It went in for service at 650. Since then I've had to add a full quart of oil a little at a time. It had the oil changed at service and was full when I got it back.
I cannot see any blue smoke, no drips on the floor (it has it's own garage)
and I don't ride it hard.
I've been using Valvoline 10-40 (for mc's)
What does everyone think about going to Mobil 1? Suppose it would help?

Your bike may not be thru with the break in process. Before the rings properly seat excessive oil usage is a possibility.
With a bike that fresh and using that much oil you may have a problem. I would try some things to fix your oil usage. I might try a motor oil cleaner first; it might help. If it doesn't your bike may not have a tight fit. I have always heard about break in oil but it's not used much anymore but it could be what you need.

http://motorcycleextremist.com/Motorcycle-Engine-Break-in-the-Right-Way!.html

http://www.hondamotorcycles-usedmotorcycles.com/engine-break-in.html

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-break-in-oil/

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/break-in-oil-(sae-30)/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts