Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to do an oil change; can I just keep her on the kick stand, or do I need some sort of fancy bike stand to keep her perfectly upright or something? :?:

And do I really need the special Suzuki oil filter cap wrench, or...? I went with a Wix filter (all they had, anyway), though I would have spent more for the chrome K&N if it were in stock. Hey, a little bling never hurts. ;)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
So I'm getting ready to do an oil change; can I just keep her on the kick stand, or do I need some sort of fancy bike stand to keep her perfectly upright or something? :?:

And do I really need the special Suzuki oil filter cap wrench, or...? I went with a Wix filter (all they had, anyway), though I would have spent more for the chrome K&N if it were in stock. Hey, a little bling never hurts. ;)
I don't use a lift jack to drain or change the filter. The jack, for me, gets in the way of a drain pan and the drain plug. I do warm up the engine a bit to make the oil drain easier.

I use a spring loaded grip type oil filter wrench. It has a 3/8 socket hole in it to allow for a ratchet with extension to twist off the filter. I don't use it to spin the new one back on. Just hand tighten. Remember to make sure the oil filter o-ring comes off with the filter. Place a smear of oil on the new oil filter o- ring before spinning it on. The oil will seal the filter to the housing better.

I will then use the lift jack to level the bike to fill the crankcase with new oil. Do not use the side stand when checking the oil level. Bike must be upright and level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harbor Freight has lift stands for about $80 and you will be glad you got it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Unfortunately I live off my military VA pension, and I pretty much spent all my extra cash this month on getting new tires installed this month. :\

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, in reading and re-reading it, I kept coming to the same conclusion. There needs to be some sort of A-frame brace added that would rest against the bike, like a set of crutches.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yes, in reading and re-reading it, I kept coming to the same conclusion. There needs to be some sort of A-frame brace added that would rest against the bike, like a set of crutches.
I was always uneasy using it, there's 700lbs that could fall over on me. That's why I bought the bike lift. Still use it though to check the oil.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is what I have, bolted to a 2 foot by 3 foot scrap piece of plywood.

Motorcycle Stand / Wheel Chock

Works great, in fact it's how I store my bike in the garage when not in use.
Also works great when checking oil level.

dan
I was just looking at that this morning! LMFAO I was going to ask if anyone was using it. Front wheel or back?

edit: I was also looking at this one, wondering if it might work... http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html

edit 2: after reading the reviews on the Pittsburgh Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock, and it's on sale for $59.99 (with 10 of them in stock locally), I'm just going to go pick one up today. And find a large-ish piece of plywood to attach it to. :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was just looking at that this morning! LMFAO I was going to ask if anyone was using it. Front wheel or back?

edit: I was also looking at this one, wondering if it might work... Low Profile Rear Motorcycle Spool Stand

edit 2: after reading the reviews on the Pittsburgh Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock, and it's on sale for $59.99 (with 10 of them in stock locally), I'm just going to go pick one up today. And find a large-ish piece of plywood to attach it to. :D

Thanks!

Don't forget your coupon....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts