Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals!!!

This will be my first road trip. I will be giving my motorcycle a tune-up prior to going on a 1400 mile road trip. (plugs, air filter, oil, and oil filter) Should I change the oil once I get back? Also should I be changing any other fluids before leaving?? My motorcycle has aapprox 20k miles on it...

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You should check your antifreeze. How many miles are on the oil that's in there already? If there isn't much, then I wouldn't bother changing. You could also check the rear differential and make sure it has oil

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should check your antifreeze. How many miles are on the oil that's in there already? If there isn't much, then I wouldn't bother changing. You could also check the rear differential and make sure it has oil

Its time for the oil change. I will be doing that as soon as the parts arrive. I have not done anything with the antifreeze or gear oil though.

Guess I will plan on changing antifreeze and checking the drive shaft fluid for viscosity...

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
If your gear oil is original you're going to be in for a surprise. Find a piece of cardboard for it to run down when you pull the drain plug. Notice the brass? Some metal is normal, don't sweat it. I use synthetic 85-140. I changed my factory diff oil at around 5k miles and at 10k it was black again.
Are your shaft splines lubed? Got to do that.
Running a bike at highway speeds will increase engine oil consumption. Take a quart.
My bike is one of a few here that does not use oil.
Remember to check antifreeze a few times after changing it. I would wait until I returned home to change coolant.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Its time for the oil change. I will be doing that as soon as the parts arrive. I have not done anything with the antifreeze or gear oil though.

Guess I will plan on changing antifreeze and checking the drive shaft fluid for viscosity...

Any other suggestions?
since your changing the oil now, I wouldn't bother changing it when you get back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your gear oil is original you're going to be in for a surprise. Find a piece of cardboard for it to run down when you pull the drain plug. Notice the brass? Some metal is normal, don't sweat it. I use synthetic 85-140. I changed my factory diff oil at around 5k miles and at 10k it was black again.
Are your shaft splines lubed? Got to do that.
Running a bike at highway speeds will increase engine oil consumption. Take a quart.
My bike is one of a few here that does not use oil.
Remember to check antifreeze a few times after changing it. I would wait until I returned home to change coolant.
Checked the drive shaft fluid from the top plug at the rear tire. Looks good! Not black at all... As for the shaft splines, not sure about that?? Will have to do some research on that. My bike doesnt use (or leak) oil so I should be good there....

Thanks for all the comments from everyone! Will definitely need to keep that in mind lv2tinker!!! Good one..

·
Registered
19,499 Posts
Oil- every 3500 miles
Oil filter - same
Air filter - every 15,000 miles
Spark plugs - every 7500 miles
Valve adjustment - every 7500 miles
Brake lines and fluid - every 2 years
Final drive oil - every 2 years
Coolant - every 2 years
Fuel lines/Vacuum lines - every 4 years
Tires - every 5 years regardless of remaining tread.

I would not take the bike out of my driveway without making sure every maintenance item above has been completed and checked off, let alone planning a 1400 mile trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil- every 3500 miles
Oil filter - same
Air filter - every 15,000 miles
Spark plugs - every 7500 miles
Valve adjustment - every 7500 miles
Brake lines and fluid - every 2 years
Final drive oil - every 2 years
Coolant - every 2 years
Fuel lines/Vacuum lines - every 4 years
Tires - every 5 years regardless of remaining tread.

I would not take the bike out of my driveway without making sure every maintenance item above has been completed and checked off, let alone planning a 1400 mile trip.
Good info!!! Although I do not agree with some of the stats listed, I also understand they are standards in the automotive world. I will definitely look into some of these as I have only had my bike for about 8 months and I do not know what was done to it previously. The previous owner seems to have taken exceptional care of it though so Im confident that all of this was done on schedule.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts