Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Rotella 15W-40 in my Kawasakis as it is the recommended oil for those bikes. I changed them and ran out, and am about to change the oil and filter on the VL800, but now I can only find Rotella T 15W-40. What is the T? Is that the additives crap? I don't want clutch slippage!

What brands do you guys use? I plan to find my regular brand since I use it in other bikes, but if I can't, what do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Look on the back label were it lists the certifications. (Mack, Cat etc.) look for the letters "JASO" and "MA". That means it is specifically approved for bikes.

The "T" might be for "Triple". That is what is on the label here.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I use the Rotella 15w40 as well. Tried a few others but settled on it because it's easy to find and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It also tests out among the best, both in user reports and oil analysis reports.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As far as I know "T" stands for triple protection as Gene said. I was using the OEM oil on my volusia until I decided using the Rotella which has given excellent results as a smoother feeling when changing gears and it has greatly reduced the clunk noise when upshifting. Way happy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the oil and filter last night. I will be riding it today. I will post the results later this evening. Oh and I love the simplicity of changing the filter on this bike. My Kawasakis and the Honda have the filter inside the engine and you must remove a round metal plate from the bottom to get the filter out. Pain in the butt and messy too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike shifts MUCH smoother now. I did not really notice any other difference, but MAN it is smooth shifting now. I rode it quite a bit today and am satisfied with it. Guess it is Rotella for all of my bikes!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gene where do you find the Rotella, all the jugs that I see at Walmart or Canadian tire are for diesel engines.

I did find Mobil1 at Walmart however. $15.99 a litre.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rotella T is a diesel oil. However, it is good in bikes as well. Check the wikipedia page on Rotella T. You can get Rotella T at Walmart, Autozone, Advance Auto, Oreilly's, and others. Most gas stations and truck stops have it also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rotella T is a diesel oil. However, it is good in bikes as well. Check the wikipedia page on Rotella T. You can get Rotella T at Walmart, Autozone, Advance Auto, Oreilly's, and others. Most gas stations and truck stops have it also.
Hmmm I guess I learned something today. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Gene where do you find the Rotella, all the jugs that I see at Walmart or Canadian tire are for diesel engines.

I did find Mobil1 at Walmart however. $15.99 a litre.
The Rotella T 15w40 and the Rotella 5w40 are both rated JASO and MA for use in motorcycles.

Check the back of the jug where the manufacturer's approvals are listed.

I just got a 9.5 liter jug of the 15w40 for $29 at Walmart in Olds.... on sale....

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Zddp

When I had my S40 it was one of the 10 commandments that the S40 needs a ZDDP additive to get the zinc levels around 1500 ppm in the oil, was good for the top end. Does anybody use the same in the C50? or is it nessessary?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've used the Castrol Actevo semi-synthtic MC oil for years with no problems but I might give the Rotella a try.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Id like to put in a vote for the Castrol Vtwin Specific 20w-50 full synthetic, basically the exact same as mobil 1 and only about 45$ for a six pack shipped from Amazon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oil Brand does not matter in my opinion, regular oil and filter changes on a schedule is more important in my opinion. I run Pennzoil 10w 40 with a new filter each time, the reason I use Pennzoil is because it is inexpensive. I can get the oill and a new filter for $15 at my local auto parts place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't wish to start an oil war here as people seem to be touchy about which oil they use. But I did look at the Rotella T15 today and it does have the proper JASO, MA symbol. Less money for the oil could relate to changing more often and a good thing for the bike.

The engines the T15 is designed for bothered me a bit though. But what difference could it make what its designed for if it's made for cycles too? Any thoughts on that.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Don't wish to start an oil war here as people seem to be touchy about which oil they use. But I did look at the Rotella T15 today and it does have the proper JASO, MA symbol. Less money for the oil could relate to changing more often and a good thing for the bike.

The engines the T15 is designed for bothered me a bit though. But what difference could it make what its designed for if it's made for cycles too? Any thoughts on that.
Diesel engine oils, even with out the ''JASO'' and ''MA'' ratings are a pretty safe bet to use in the appropriate viscosities.

The Rotella T 15w40 with those ratings is absolutely safe to use. An oil that will take the pounding and abuse of a diesel engine will standup well for us with the oil change intervals most of us observe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts