·
Registered
99,999 Posts
Thank God they survived.

Was the trooper on his computer?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow its bad enogh when ya have to watch teen drivers now the cops too omg happy there alive...

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
In South Dakota you used to have to watch out for the former Governor, he ran a stop sign and killed a guy on a motorcycle.

We call it "getting Janklowed".

He did two years in jail. A year later he was clocked doing 100mph in a 65mph zone.....ticketed and released.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Amazing they weren't killed. I wonder what charges the trooper is facing? It would not surprise me the answer is none. They take care of their own. If i was the injured party, i would get him in a room alone and ask him why he was so adamant of checking his car and not tending to me and my wife that he just ran over... Without any knowledge, he was probably on the phone, texting, looking at his on board computer or doing something that distracted him from a highway that was without traffic, weather was dry, and did not see the riders!!! Amazing, absolutely amazing. I'm sure the state is limited on damages by the trooper being a state employee.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That is why I am installing front turn signals on the rear of my bike. The more lights the better. I have and LED stop/tail on the back of my sissy bar now along with the stock light. This weekend I'll have two yellow lights lit back there also. I know, if they don't look they won't see but if it helps just one time and I be a happy camper.

·
Super Moderator
25,276 Posts
I guarantee he was on his computer and not even watching the road. Probably speeding too.

Oddly enough I was just wondering yesterday how often cops rear end people doing that stuff while driving. I can't even look at my GPS while driving without someone calling me a hazard, but these guys are filling out reports while doing 90 down the interstate.

No offense to cops, I really do love them, and most are great, but I feel like there are too many distractions in the cruisers.
One other thing to point out, looking at the couple, who wants to lay odds that he had a full face and she had a puddin bowl?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Village Idiot
5,021 Posts
That trooper is a 2 time winner of the Ohio Trooper of the Year Award. Generally thought of as a nice guy who had one big mistake. I haven't heard any more about it in the news. I'm sure he is in deep doo doo.

The rider of the bike said:
"I told (a trooper), if you see him, tell him I forgive him because I don't want him to be hurting real bad," said Waldman, who is hospitalized with a broken foot and other injuries. "It's definitely some sort of accident."

What a forgiving guy. I don't know if I would have it in me. I would like to think so, but until it happens to me...

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I guarantee he was on his computer and not even watching the road. Probably speeding too.

Oddly enough I was just wondering yesterday how often cops rear end people doing that stuff while driving. I can't even look at my GPS while driving without someone calling me a hazard, but these guys are filling out reports while doing 90 down the interstate.

No offense to cops, I really do love them, and most are great, but I feel like there are too many distractions in the cruisers.
One other thing to point out, looking at the couple, who wants to lay odds that he had a full face and she had a puddin bowl?

Happened in Ft Myers Fl. a few months ago. Trooper rear ended an SUV. Put two people in the hospital. Woman was pregnant and lost the baby. He was checking his email.

·
Registered
671 Posts
A few lessons here:

1. The cop was sleeping or similar and obviously didn't care about the people, drugs perhaps?
  2. Open face helmets are fantastic for rhinoplasty, and no gloves also get rid of those pesty patches of dry skin on the hands.
  3. Don't be on the highway at night doing 10 mph, what the hell is wrong with people?

·
Registered
317 Posts
So, what lessons can we learn?

Even troopers are fallible humans. I don'think he intended a rear-end encounter with the bike.

Visibility of a bike from the rear is problematic to begin with, probably worse at night. What could the riders have done to inrease conspicuity?

What gear should the riders have been wearing to minimize bodily injury?

My sympathies to all three.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I was going to make a comment about the woman's face and an open face helmet... I wonder what kind of road rash they have.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Im just wondering was the cop speeding badly or was the bike going at a very slow speed, looks like the cop approached him very quickly, anyway its a bad thing and i hope they recover ok

·
Super Moderator
25,276 Posts
My fault, I assumed the trooper was speeding, since they normally do, but with the bike being in the right lane he may have been going too slow for safe interstate travel.

I don't doubt that the officer is a great guy, and I believe with all my heart that he did not intend on hurting anyone, and would never even consider doing anything intentionally to hurt an innocent person. As I said, I think that there are too many distractions in a cruiser, which is probably what causes most accidents with officers. I know they justify playing with their laptops by saying that they're special and they need to be able to do that kind of stuff while driving to catch bad guys, but a doctor who kills someone because he was reading email in the car could argue the same thing, yet we would prosecute the doctor. Amazingly enough, cops in the 80's still managed to catch bad guys with nothing more than a radio as a distraction in the cruiser. If they want to run a plate, pull over.

I hate to see a good cop suffer from a bad accident, but he should be tried and convicted no different than I would. No matter how unintentional, actions need consequences and justice should be color blind, be it black, white, brown, or blue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
you know what i did not like? Trooper checked out the front of his car twice while there were 2 people lying on the ground severely injured.

I guarantee you that the trooper was on his computer. I also see cops being the biggest speeders of all.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
That trooper is a 2 time winner of the Ohio Trooper of the Year Award. Generally thought of as a nice guy who had one big mistake. I haven't heard any more about it in the news. I'm sure he is in deep doo doo.

The rider of the bike said:
"I told (a trooper), if you see him, tell him I forgive him because I don't want him to be hurting real bad," said Waldman, who is hospitalized with a broken foot and other injuries. "It's definitely some sort of accident."

What a forgiving guy. I don't know if I would have it in me. I would like to think so, but until it happens to me...
The rider may have let him off with an " its just an accident", but the riders lawyer should be speaking in a different accusatory time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts