Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had bikes before. None of them have stirred up joy quite as much as my 2001 Skunk. After a long delay last year I finally got the engine fixed and rode it bone stock for 3 weeks before winter set in here in South Dakota. It was fun but it felt like something was missing.

Last fall I had a truck change lanes into me, most likely didn't hear me with the whisper quiet pipes. I saw him coming and knew the next lane was empty so I moved over. That got me to thinking I need to do something.

I convinced the wife I need pipes. Last weekend I installed the Cobra Streetrod Slashdown pipes and did the Dynojet stage 1 kit along with new plugs even though it only has 16,000 miles. Holly crap!! This thing really grabs attention now! I'm getting full on respect from other bikers, even full dressed Harley guys. After a good wash and wax I get compliments whenever I stop for a smoke break. The tone of the pipes is exactly what I wanted. The new tires I mounted and balanced myself make it ride like a dream. The C90 drive mod made a HUGE improvement.

And the best part is I am into this thing for less than $1400 total.

The wife says I need to find a newer bike for me and she will take my Skunk. Hold on there babe, not so fast

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
sounds like a good change on the pipes...enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whew! In return for being able to keep the Cobra slashdowns, I had to agree to some back-breaking gardening work and my wife gets a new not-so-cheap french bistro set.

I can't wait to hear the rumble from the new pipes!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob, you will love them. Mine sounds real mean and has a great rumble on deceleration. I did the Dynojet spring and rod with clip in 3rd groove yet using factory jet. Today I got 147 miles on 3.8 gallons running 60-65mph.

Up next is backrest and highway pegs

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thx much! New pipes are due to arrive this week and I am DETERMINED to get that rejet right!

All the rest of the mods are easier for sure. Ride safe!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My "proudly made in the USA" Cobras just arrived. Perfect condition and nothing missing, including the "Ride Loud" sticker!

Can't wait to get started with installation first thing tomorrow!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got the new Cobras installed and they look and sound fantastic!

This is my favorite mod ever. It took me 15 years to find a home where the neighbors don't care how loud my bike is. My '03 Volusia is now officially LOUD and I am PROUD! lol

·
Registered
20,044 Posts
Loud pipes annoy normal people.

·
Registered
20,044 Posts
Or should I say, self important ass hats like loud pipes. Look at me! Look at me! Hey, you're not looking at me!!

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Congrats on the new pipes! You might also want to look into upgrading the a Stebel air horn. I find that those wake people up also and has saved my bacon a number of times.

Reactions: RobM
1 - 17 of 17 Posts