Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is official. I have completely stripped all 4 dog bone bolts trying to lower the bike. I tried 12 point and 6 point wratchets and about a gallon of liquid wrench settled in overnight. I have spent countless hours reading posts with no luck. Only way those things are coming off is with c4. I AM SO MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas on how to remove stripped bolts?? Literally want to break something right now!!!

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Assuming there is room you could use a Dremel to remove the head of the bolts (carefully of course). Just a suggestion..

·
Registered
18,342 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Oh you mean you chewed the bolt heads and nuts up...

Jeff,
If you can get a hold of two pipe wrenches try putting one on either side.
You may be able to get a good bite on the nuts maybe enough to get them to crack.

If that turns out to be a knuklebuster then I would try to find a stud remover that fits over the nut side.

Grinding those off will be a tough go...

*Edit,

Make sure there isn't any weight on the assembly from the rear tire hanging on it...stack some boards, bricks or something under the tire to take the weight.

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
wehrd1 said:
Colleen, these are not your average bolts, cutting a slot for a screwdriver would be akin to help carve Crazy Horse with a firecracker. The products linked don't have near the power, to release those bolts. These are DAMN stubborn bolts.

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
The Volusianator said:
wehrd1 said:
Colleen, these are not your average bolts, cutting a slot for a screwdriver would be akin to help carve Crazy Horse with a firecracker. The products linked don't have near the power, to release those bolts. These are DAMN stubborn bolts.
ah. okey dokey. dunno that, cuz I had Cobra & Co. do mine @ Tott2. :wink:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The Volusianator said:
wehrd1 said:
Are you sure they're NOT using firecrackers to carve Crazyhorse? My folks went out to see crazyhorse 19 years ago this June - brought home pictures of the "work in progress" - we went and looked at it last year during bike week........not alot of progress in nearly 20 years.

just sayin

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
They've been busy smokin the peace pipe. :smoking:
calan said:
The Volusianator said:
wehrd1 said:
Are you sure they're NOT using firecrackers to carve Crazyhorse? My folks went out to see crazyhorse 19 years ago this June - brought home pictures of the "work in progress" - we went and looked at it last year during bike week........not alot of progress in nearly 20 years.

just sayin

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
Are you trying to loosen the bolt, or loosen the nut?

Many poeple have had very good results accessing and loosening the nuts from the right (pipe) side of the bike.

Remember, you need to be turning left (anti-clockwise) to loosen.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
If you have really messed them up order new ones and wait till they come in before you destroy the old ones getting them off. The bottom one you should be able to get to with a right angle grinder and shouldn't take too long to remove the nut side. The top one may be a little more difficult to get to but that nut will need cut off too. Plan B order new bolts as above. I think Sears sells a special socket that will remove rounded off bolts. You will probably need 2 sets 1 for each side. Hope this helps.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Those bolts are a S.O.B. to break free, especially if you work with the bike on the ground. If you have access to lift, get it up to where you can get under it and get some leverage.
Worse case scenario...cut the heads off with a sawzall.

I think they hired King Kong to tighten those at the factory.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Special Ed said:
Are you trying to loosen the bolt, or loosen the nut?

Many poeple have had very good results accessing and loosening the nuts from the right (pipe) side of the bike.

Remember, you need to be turning left (anti-clockwise) to loosen.
Righty Tighty
Lefty Loosey

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Craftsman (Sears) makes some pretty nice rounded off thing taker offers. (Don't know what else to call them) Or you can always get a nut-splitter and use that if there isn't room to get in there with an angle grinder. Just some more options.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
If it is really the BOLTS which you have rounded then you might still be able to unfasten things if you hold the bolt head with a pipe wrench and work on unfastening the nut.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Do these bolts have loctite from the factory? If they are, you will need to add some heat to them.

I don't know the area where you are looking at, but you might be able to do something with a propane torch or even one of those little butane ones to heat them up enough.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My bolts didn't have loctite but the nuts had some kind of locknut arrangement. Don't know what you call it but there was some kind tiny sheet metal thickness clip in the threads. (That's a terrible description.)

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Did I already mention that these factory dogbone bolts are a S.O.B. to break loose? :scream:

I know I drew blood doing it.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I've found breaking the nut loose, on the pipe side first, is the best way to go. At this point you might have to remove the pipes and lower cover to get on the nut if the head is stripped. The best tool for getting a bite on a stripped head is called a twist out socket. It's the opposite of a stud extractor, but the same principal. There are aggressive flutes in the socket, tapered and reversed that allow the socket to be drawn down onto the stripped head of a nut or bolt. So, when applied to the stripped head, the socket draws it's self down and bites on the head, cutting into what is left of the head. These work, they work very well and will get the stripped heads(nut or bolt) off. You'll want to replace the bolts and nuts after using these, they will probably damage the shape of the head and you won't be able to tighten them properly afterwards. But, you will be able to get them off.

Edit to add; I'll see if I can find a picture of what these sockets look like and post a link to them here.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts