Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I guess I'm just the latest in a long line of people suckered by Suzuki into thinking the OEM accessories have decent quality.

My lightbar was put on when the bike was new. 18 months and 7000 miles later, the left side broke. Exactly as described in the numerous other posts about this problem.

Of course it happened right as I was merging on to the highway, so I had to pull over and see how I could tie it up. A couple of bungies are holding it secure and even pointed in basically the right direction.

Went to visit the dealer I bought the bike from (who also installed the bar). After a couple of days, he said that they would fix it and had to order parts.

Parts should be in early next week, so hopefully I'll get the dang thing fixed soon. Kudos to the dealer for either pushing Suzuki to do the right thing, or for biting the bullet and keeping me happy (not sure who's paying).

Thumbs-down to Suzuki for not fixing this problem!

Just had to rant... I can't believe this keeps happening to us!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Not bad for a part that probably only has a 90 day warranty at the most.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OTG said:
C50T2006 said:
Not bad for a part that probably only has a 90 day warranty at the most.
I *think* that the warranty is the same as the bike on dealer-installed OEM accessories.
Yeah, the dealer said it was a one year warranty. I'm just happy they said it would be fixed, although I won't give them complete credit until it's done :)

I have to call tomorrow and see if my parts have shown up yet...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Hope you get good servicing on this.

That one year warranty paid off for me too on a different item (OEM saddlebags)

Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
It was more of a problem when they first came out back in 2001. The complaints have seemed to die down over the years but there is still an occasional one that pops up. Many dealers have fixed them free for people so Suzuki is aware of the potential problem and my guess is they instruct the dealers to fix them free. Good service on their part on a problem, and hopefully good for you too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm on my second set and they both stink. Poor chrome, rust inside, chrome bolts that should go in the trash BEFORE assembly, short bulb life, should I go on?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no parts. Supposedly they'll be in tomorrow...

I guess I'll give them a few more days before I really push the issue and see what they say.

·
Registered
851 Posts
jberg said:
I'm on my second set and they both stink. Poor chrome, rust inside, chrome bolts that should go in the trash BEFORE assembly, short bulb life, should I go on?
I know what you mean about those bolts! The ones they supplied wouldn't even tighten the lights to the mounts before they seized and snapped! I felt like Superman! :lol: I had one of my turn signals start to vibrate but found that 2 of the allen set screws (one on each side) was loose.

On a side note. When I bought my light bar the part number on the package was different than in catalog the dealer had. And the packaging had the "Boulevard" logo all over it. The parts guy checked and then called me at home to let me know that it was the new part number for the Boulevard series. Yes he called me at home with the number in their database. Even though I was putting them on a Boulevard he said they'd still fit a Volusia as well. Maybe the new part # also resolved the breaking problem?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ppasel said:
The parts guy checked and then called me at home to let me know that it was the new part number for the Boulevard series. Yes he called me at home with the number in their database. Even though I was putting them on a Boulevard he said they'd still fit a Volusia as well. Maybe the new part # also resolved the breaking problem?
I'm afraid not... My lightbar was purchased and installed in November 2006, after the Boulevard name had been out for awhile. Darn thing broke in April 2008, 17 months later.

I've made a solemn vow not to buy any more OEM accessories, since the quality seems to be completely hit and miss....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts