Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I was changing my coolant yesterday and whilst running the engine started another job which led to me dropping a small but into the radiator. I at least think it went in there as I couldn't see it elsewhere. I turned the engine off straight away.
I drained the coolant again and flushed it with water. I haven't checked the old fluid yet but is it likely to have come out or do I need to look elsewhere too? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,459 Posts
ouch...hope someone comes along with some helpful advice...hang in there. Would seem it would have flushed out tho.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
If you're highly concerned, my guess is the only thing you can do is to remove the radiator and shake it to verify if the nut is still in there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It hadn't flushed out. I tried to remove the radiator but couldn't remove the top hoses. Tight in there. The bolts were loose though and I gave it a shake but could only hear the remainder of the fluid.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Unless you ran the bike to where the thermostat opened, then it would still be inside the radiator. It would not be able to pass through the cooling tubes, so it is likely on the bottom. If the thermostat opened and the impeller from the water pump pressurized the system, then it could be anywhere inside the cooling system. The only solution will be to remove the radiator and flush it with water to see if it comes out of the fill spout.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was running for 5-10 minutes I'd have thought so not sure if the thermostat would have opened?
Is there are easy way to access the top hoses? I undid the clip but couldn't get the hoses off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok it's not in the radiator do it either moved on or didn't go down in the first place.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Don't take it the wrong way, but it is hilarious :) I can imagine the headache and anxiety this might cause, but it also puts a smile on my face :) Got to have "some luck" to drop a nut inside a radiator - the opening is small and located oddly :))))
And imagine if nut is not there .... 😁🙃😀

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
If you want peace of mind, pull the thermostat and check there. You can also inspect the impeller of the water pump if it did get moved through the system. On a good note, you will have a thoroughly cleaned cooling system.

·
Super Moderator
57,538 Posts
If you didn't find the nut it's still lodged in there sideways and the steel is reacting with the radiator material. Better bring a bottle of pepper with you! ;)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
If you didn't find the nut it's still lodged in there sideways and the steel is reacting with the radiator material. Better bring a bottle of pepper with you! ;)
Maybe an egg too?

·
Registered
624 Posts
what would MacGyver do?

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Just replace the whole radiator and be done with it. LOL

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not in the radiator. I dunno maybe it didn't even go in and dropped down the side. Suppose it could be sat in any area around the radiator.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
This reminds me of the time I was doing some work an an F350 box truck.
We were working on a rear end axle, finished it up, and needed to add some gear oil to the pumpkin.
I was doing this is a friend's shop, which wasn't very well lit.

I pulled the fill plug on the pumpkin, and he handed me the fill hose from a gear oil pump.
It had an interesting end on it which I paid no attention to, and stuffed the hose in the hole.
He began pumping, and made comment on how hard it seemed to be pumping.
I heard a noise, and then he said, oh, there it goes!

After oil started draining from the fill hole, I closed it up, and passed him the hose back, at which time he asked, where's the spark plug?
I was like WTF are you talking about?

He said there was a small spark plug stuck in the end of the hose to plug it.

Dammit. I now had a spark plug in my pumpkin, which of course meant I had to open it up and get it out.
Arghhhh.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts