Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the C50 out for a little run this afternoon. I'm running down I90 75mph indicated, throttle lock on, constant rpm, no accel or decel when the bike shuts off for about 2 seconds and then comes right back on. In a 12 mile stretch of interstate this happened 3 or 4 times.

It is just like I shut the key off or hit the kill switch and before I can do anything it comes right back.

I had a kickstand issue awhile back but when that happened the bike cut out and I'd get lights in the speedo. I fixed that with a new spring and this new issue the bike shuts off and no lights in the speedo.

I can accelerate hard with no problem. Roll off the throttle and back on, no problem. Only acts up when I am maintaining a constant rpm. It don't spit, sputter, buck or backfire.

I wonder if she found out I put her up for sale on craigslist.

·
Administrator
16,713 Posts
Sounds like the ignition or a bad ground.

Only because you already eliminated the KS switch.

Did you happen to notice if it was cutting out on a bump or crack in the road.

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did not seem like it was being effected by bumps or dips in the road.

It was not predictable as to when it would shut off, but it seemed very precise as to when it would come back on. That 1 to 2 seconds was very consistant.

·
Super Moderator
34,498 Posts
I'm thinking it's got to be a wire shorting out somewhere and killing power. When the power returns to the bike it basically push starts itself.

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna put it up on the rack tomorrow, get it running and start wiggling wires.

First use for the new Pitbull jack woo hoo !!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sounds like it's the gear position switch, read about it somewhere on this great forum

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Did it backfire at any point? Battery connection was my issue couple of years ago when it would die like that on a constant run. Loose connection but not bad enough to go out completely.

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did it backfire at any point? Battery connection was my issue couple of years ago when it would die like that on a constant run. Loose connection but not bad enough to go out completely.
It did not backfire, and that got my attention. No sputtering, no spitting no backfire.

Battery connections and ground will be the first things I check tomorrow.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well, mine is a Vol. It sputters and dies in the same exact spot every time... Right as I go over the last hill into town from leaving the city...

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, mine is a Vol. It sputters and dies in the same exact spot every time... Right as I go over the last hill into town from leaving the city...
That one could be a weak kickstand spring. As the bike goes over a rise the kickstand sags just enough to break contact with the switch.

·
Registered
238 Posts
id check my stator if the bat comes lose and then get a good contion again this could hapen

·
Registered
670 Posts
That one could be a weak kickstand spring. As the bike goes over a rise the kickstand sags just enough to break contact with the switch.
The PO did tell me the spring was weak when I bought it. But it hasn't caused me trouble anywhere but that hill... And I have been through 5 states with it.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
The fact that there is no back fire shows that the FI is shutting off at the same time.

Carbed engines will backfire because there is still fuel going into the engine and building up in the exhaust pipe.

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
....and I'm thinking it's a total elec fail as I do not get any warning light illumination in the speedo, again as if I shut the key off or flip the kill switch.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
The ignition on my Venture went up and was doing the same thing. Cut out as if I cut the key off. One of the wires was barely holding on and would separate on bumps and then touch again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
....and I'm thinking it's a total elec fail as I do not get any warning light illumination in the speedo, again as if I shut the key off or flip the kill switch.
I had a very similar problem with my sv1000s, (total elec fail) it turned out to be the ignition wires connector plug that was arcing due to them being crusty (common problem on the sv), cleaned the connectors and rubbed some vaseline on them and it was fine after.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.