Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode up to Newark DE to meet a co worker for lunch. On the way home, I'm on a 2 lane in each direction main road that leaves Newark and goes towards I95. Speed limit is 50. Traffic was pretty light, I had cleared a cluster of cars going in my direction and had a clear road.

Coming up to the last intersection before the 95 interchange. There's a guy sitting in the left turn lane, which has a red arrow. He/she decides they don't want to turn left anymore, and pulls out to the right- right into the lane I'm riding in (left lane, I'm in the right 3rd of the lane.

Not only does he pull into my lane but it appears as if he's going to cut across both lanes. I nail my horn, swerve as hard and fast as I can to the right, all the way to the right side of the right lane. He's about halfway across that lane when I went by him. Missed him by enough, maybe a foot or 2. My horn did it's job as he heard it and stopped. I only scrubbed what speed I could by letting off the throttle. I knew I was going to swerve and didn't want to be on the brakes while cutting hard to the right. Luckily there was no one in the right lane, but I knew that because I'd cleared the group of cars about a quarter mile back.

The person in the SUV never saw me, or never looked. Day glo jacket and all, a lot of you have seen my jacket. It doesn't do any good if the people in the cars don't even check before they make a move.

My cat like reflexes (yeah right!) and luckily a bike that can maneuver laterally pretty fast saved me. If I had been on my old Vulcan or another cruiser, it would have ended differently. A good adrenaline rush and some pucker factor were the only side effects. I didn't really think about it til I got home and realized I'd avoided what could have been a pretty bad one, 50mph into the side of an SUV.

You expect the left turns in front of you coming from the other lane. You expect cars to come into your lane that don't look before making a lane change. You expect cars to pull out in front of you from intersections or from shopping centers, etc. Now add this one to your list to watch for!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Whew that is a close one Danimal, to dang close. Astute on your part to know no one was in the lanes to the right. That is defensive driving. One thing I have started doing on the state roads I travel. When I see someone ahead waiting to pull out I start waving my hand above my head and a honk of the horn to give them more opportunity to see and hear me. Chuck

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Catlike reflex ....I like to call it matrix reflex or for you old skool ....Mr Miyagi ninja reflex....Glad your fine Dan.

Reactions: danimal

·
Super Moderator
25,574 Posts
scary to say the least...glad it worked out as well as it did...like you said, I'm sure the type of bike you were riding improved your chances in that situation. Take care.

·
Administrator
57,118 Posts
Back in the dawn of the 1980's, I was riding to work along the waterfront interstate, during mid-afternoon on a beautiful Summer's day.

Some nitwit almost pinned Me between the concrete wall of an underpass, and his car.
Motorcycle horns in those days were a joke, and of course, the ditz never heard the horn, nor did He look before He darted left, over to My lane.
That is one case where I'd agree that loud pipes would have been helpful.

Bro, it's good to hear that You avoided what could have been a severe accident.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Some would say you had a co-pilot with you that day and who are we to disagree but I think it was the "cat like" reflexes that did the trick! Still gotta give props to the man upstairs for sparing you that day! Glad to hear this story with this ending! The puckering will go away and you can always get new drawers! Ride safe bro!

·
Registered
949 Posts
There are plenty of idiots on the road. Glad you were able to avoid that one.

·
Registered
23,533 Posts
Great reflects Dan. Glad it didn't turn out worse. Have some White Castles and the pucker will go away faster than the adrenaline. Lol
Keep up the safe riding

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.