Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for advice to someone not super mechanically inclined but trying! I’ve looked through the forum and not found the same issue.
I have a 2003 Volusia that unfortunately sat for about a year with occasional starts/runs in the driveway (full fuel with stabilizer). I’m getting her back on the roads this year with a new battery after the old failing to hold a charge. The bike starts with choke on and idles. But when I give any throttle or try to turn the choke off it sputters and dies. I’ve replaced the gas and added carb cleaner thinking old gas or a carb might be a little gummy with no effect.
I’m realizing now though if I turn up the throttle very slowly I can get past that stall point and once I’m past that I can fully rev the engine. When I’m in that position and giving it a lot more gas I can even turn the choke off (though will die if I let it go back to idle choke off).

I imagine if it’s plugged carb jets I shouldn’t be able to get past the sputter point and get it going full rpm?
What would allow me to ease past that point and essentially have it act normally as long as the throttle is on? But to die if that initial throttle goes on too fast?

·
Registered
20,218 Posts
A small vacuum leak will do it. I'd be inclined to replace all the rubber hoses, that includes the brake line which I'd use a braided steel line. Rubber begins to break down over time. I'm no mechanic but I've had it happen with cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A small vacuum leak will do it. I'd be inclined to replace all the rubber hoses, that includes the brake line which I'd use a braided steel line. Rubber begins to break down over time. I'm no mechanic but I've had it happen with cars.
Thanks very much for the quick response. I’ll start figuring out where the vacuum lines are! Thank god for the manual and the internet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts