Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
29,582 Posts
Just a warning though, this is what my bike looked like just a few weeks earlier. And this was a plastic 10 gallon gas tank that you could remove once a week and pop the dents out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
DO IT! I had the chance in 2010 and didn't do it....major regret! Friends did a month long trip from Cincinnati (one week there and 3 weeks to get home). They wanted me to go but I decided I could not use all my vacation for the year on one trip. Wish I would have done it. Just make sure your sense of humor can keep up with your sense of adventure!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Know your tires and replacement options on the route (who carries what, do you need to pre-order etc). I typically only get 8k miles on rear tires riding moderately hard (C50 & Bridgestone). You may be looking at at least a rear tire swap somewhere along the way just for wear. Not a huge deal, just an unpleasant surprise looking at tire cords out in the hills without a plan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That ride will take alot of planning and mostly for the brave of heart .When in northern Canada the world changes there is nothing no fuel no help and no phone and the roads are brutal and clogged critters trees and wash outs so must be prepared for anything and major brake down can add week easy
Whith this in mind it's a awesome ride and worthy of the bucket list

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done 2 cycle trip to Alaska #1 in 1994 and #2 in 1998 The first trip I crashed in the Yukon on terrible road construction. In 1998 with a dual sport i went again alone from E PA to Alaska successfully in 29 days making 10,034 miles. It is a challenge but I would love do it again with a friend riding as a team. Be prepared for all kinds of weather. It is an unforgettable adventure!! Walt Keeler Silverdale PA

·
Super Moderator
56,317 Posts
I have done 2 cycle trip to Alaska #1 in 1994 and #2 in 1998 The first trip I crashed in the Yukon on terrible road construction. In 1998 with a dual sport i went again alone from E PA to Alaska successfully in 29 days making 10,034 miles. It is a challenge but I would love do it again with a friend riding as a team. Be prepared for all kinds of weather. It is an unforgettable adventure!! Walt Keeler Silverdale PA
Some of my Mom's Christian friends are from Silverdale. Carol and Dennis

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I know (or used to) know Silverdale. Lived in Port Orchard when Dave was stationed in Bremerton. Don't know WHY we didn't go to Alaska from there :D Of course we weren't riding then either.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Okay, I need honest opinions...
A friend of mine rode to Alaska and back in the 70's. He did it on a 450cc
Kawasaki(?). I believe that was the make. A cousin and uncle rode from
DC to Mexico City one summer. Uncle on a Goldwing and cuz on a 250
Ducati, which he later raced on the flat track.

They're all nutz. I wish I would have done it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts