Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first bike and I have no clue about motorcycle tires. How many miles can I expect to get out of the stock tires that are on there. The bike has 10,000 miles on it now. Looks to me like there's a few grand left in them, but I dunno how low to let them get.

Also, I would love to hear suggestions on a good tire to get when the time comes. I may stay with the white wall. I haven't decided yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
round ones work best. :wink: you'll find as many opinions on tires as you will about oil. Do a search and you'll find oh about 473 topics on tires. Read through em and make your own decision. After all, it is your bike. Have fun with it and keep on riding.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw all those threads. Read thru a few. Just thought I'd toss it out there. No biggie..

·
Registered
658 Posts
Your tires have wear bars built into them. When you see them showing, it's time to get new tires.
I got around 13,000 miles out of the stock tires. But, that was pushing them to the limit.
When I bought new tires, I got Pirelli MT 66.I've got 14,000 + miles on those, and it's time to change.
I had heard good things about the Kenda tires, so I ordered a set. Unfortunately, they weren't going to be delivered till the end of May. Got a big trip scheduled for the end of the month.
Sooooo, I ordered another set of Pirelli tires. Might just as well stay with what works.
Hope this helps.

Ride Safe
Wayne :)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnaks for the info.

Also I had a friend drop his bike because his new tires slipped right out from under him on DRY pavement. Anyone else have this happen to them? I guess ya gotta be careful on new tires.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
ALWAYS ride easy for a few hundred miles. You have to wear off the injection mold release agent that the manufactures use. Untill this is worn off they can be slick especially in rain.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
C-50 Rider said:
ALWAYS ride easy for a few hundred miles. You have to wear off the injection mold release agent that the manufactures use. Untill this is worn off they can be slick especially in rain.
+1

you only have 2 patches of rubber keeping yuo up not 4 like on a cage . Can't afford having one slip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Besides the wear bars, if you do not lean the bike much the tires will wear a flat in the center of the tire tread. This can make for squirrelly handling in turns. If you see the center of the tread is flat replace when you can afford and ease up turns until you do.

my $.02

Paul k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts