Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that I dont know crap about engines. A couple of times I've heard my engine knock on start up. I can hear the pistons hitting the walls? But then it stops. The bike has about 500miles on it and it's a 2007. Should I worry about this?

And for the other question! Should I have bought the extended warrenty? Have any of you guys had a hard time with your bikes through the years? Would it be worth it to buy the warrenty? Thanks!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I highly doubt you have a piston slap or a rod knock. These engines are very durable, although very noisy with some vibration. Most of us find it should sound like a "angry sewing machine" at idle after having the valves adjusted.

Little stuff can become loose and rattle.

A couple of people have had trouble with crankshaft, and also the timing chain adjuster. Check your oil level properly and regularly!!

With only 500 miles, you are coming due to your first valve adjustment. This is very important, because your valves could be too tight/loose. Also you are almost due for the initial oil change! If you are not very mechanically inclined, you should consider the dealer for the first maintenance and have them listen to the engine on cold startup(document any findings).

One very common place for noises on the C50/Volusia are the connector in the headlight bucket (hits the side, and sounds like a very large loose object).

As for extended warranty, you probably could still purchase it (or even through a 3rd party company). Depending upon the price of the warranty and coverage(and the time you plan to keep your C50/miles per year), it's a personal choice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts