Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike style is new to me, so I'll ask the 'experts' for guidance. I just picked up a really nice 2003 Volusia. It has a windshield already, but no bags, other than a handlebar bag. I've never tried the throw over type of saddlebags, vs the hard kind of bags. Any recommendations?? I have a couple sets of the throw overs in my cart at one supplier, along with a support bracket. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,937 Posts
I tried throw over bags and they sucked. They sagged eventually and the right one started melting to the exhaust. If you can find some, nothing beats the OEM bags. For hard bags, Tsukayu makes a good option.

Reactions: Geo Mc

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
I 2nd Tsukayu. Check out my sig picture

Reactions: 1JohnnyO

·
Registered
732 Posts
This bike style is new to me, so I'll ask the 'experts' for guidance. I just picked up a really nice 2003 Volusia. It has a windshield already, but no bags, other than a handlebar bag. I've never tried the throw over type of saddlebags, vs the hard kind of bags. Any recommendations?? I have a couple sets of the throw overs in my cart at one supplier, along with a support bracket. Thanks
I've used cheap and mid-range priced soft bags: unless the bags are really small, they'll eventually sag enough to burn on the exhaust. Most soft bags deform with any weight in them and rub into the finish, also most don't lock. Majority of bags are not water resistant, and trust me, and it is a major PIN to deal with a soggy mess even after a light rain. OEM hard bags don't have locks, but look decent (subjective). I've used Leatherlyke sadlebags, and these were exceptionally tough and easy to use, however these are no longer made and it is almost impossible to find used - I tried.

DIY route usually involves ammo containers, spray paint and some drilling. If you can get something specifically designed for C50 (see suggestions above), it won't be inexpensive.

·
Administrator
56,897 Posts
Tsukayu Strongbags without question.
They are well sealed from heavy rains, and have solid hardware & locks.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Administrator
56,897 Posts
Really doesn't get that hot between the upper muffler and right sided bag.
Also, the farthest that I ride anymore is maybe 25 miles out, 25 return.

·
Super Moderator
32,937 Posts
The heat is only an issue if the bag touches the pipe. My throw overs did and it melted the bottom. Never had a problem with the OEM bags, even though they were close.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As you can see from my profile pic, I have the OEM soft bags that came with the bike, never had issues with the OEM exhaust nor with the V&H pipes. Granted they do not lock and not waterproof but still like the look. They are mounted to the rear fender and have the frame that allow them to hold their shape. All in all, very happy with them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Saddlebags are sometimes a hit and miss proposition...

My old Shadow had Willie & Max throwover bags that literally outlasted the bike. (They were still good enough that I was actually able sell them off.)
As I began making longer trips I found I needed more carrying capacity, which is the only reason I replaced them...With a new pair of larger Willie & Max bags. The new ones went through many miles of hard use until the top of the throwover portion started to tear. Neither pair ever leaked.

At that point, I had purchased my C50 which already had much more expensive Saddlemen bags on it.
Nice bags, but I've still had to resew part of one of them and do some other repairs...and water was able to leak in regularly.

So price had little to do with longevity or robustness in my experience. I also can't say my easily removable Saddlemen bags are enough of a big convenience over my throwover bags to justify the price.

PS: Willie & Max made their saddlebags of Naugahyde with is like leather without the maintenance. It seems they now are using leather, so their website claims. All bets are off regarding my previous experience.
I'd still trust them.

PPS: My opinion only, but if my bike ends up on it's side, I'd rather have soft bags that won't crack or break.

·
Registered
732 Posts
One small (or very large, depends) benefit of good quality hard saddlebags is that they can provide a measure of protection during a drop. I'm pretty sure the Leatherlike saddlebag either saved or softened the blow considerably when my foot got stuck under the bike, more her: Tonight was my turn... | Suzuki Volusia Forum (volusiariders.com)

·
Super Moderator
32,937 Posts
I may have misspoke, When I wash the bike/bags, I find water in the left side, not a big deal. I have seldom ridden in the rain and really not checked as to the waterproofing that could be available.
That would be expected. Washing the bike sprays water in completely different ways than rain. They aren't completely sealed, but they are pretty well rain proof.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I put Mustang Saddle bags, trunk and seat on my 2003. I think the bags are still available. I might be willing to sell them. I have a trike now and don’t get on the Suzie much any more.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

1 - 18 of 18 Posts