Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok here is the question some of you have owned a nomad and my rl friend is looking into getting one question is 1600 vs 1700 any thoughts input or horror stories about ether that should be considerd told him I would ask as I know nothing about them ty in advance for your input

·
Registered
671 Posts
ok here is the question some of you have owned a nomad and my rl friend is looking into getting one question is 1600 vs 1700 any thoughts input or horror stories about ether that should be considerd told him I would ask as I know nothing about them ty in advance for your input
I liked the 1600 and disliked the 1500 if that helps at all. I like the Volusia better than the 1500.

·
Registered
21,416 Posts
They run forever. Super reliable.

But they feel top heavy and ponderous, especially in close quarters maneuvering like a parking lot. Also, despite the gobs of available torque, they accelerate at about the same pace as a full loaded ore freighter. It will pull like a train and the engine is just loafing at 90 mph. But it takes a while to get there...

Reactions: PopPop and olfart

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
I put 30k on a 2007 1600. It was the Kaw Classic and not the Nomad but same engine.

I echo everything Skrap said. Changing handlebars made mine slightly better handling slow speed.

I rode the 1700 and didn't like it at all. Tell him to ride them both.

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
The two have noticeably different ergonomics. I could not, at only 5' 7", ride BearBait's Nomad 1600. My feet hardly reached the controls. But his 1700 fits me perfectly well, and it's a nice ride.

So trying both on for size, so to speak, could be very important.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I put 52,000 (mostly) trouble free miles on a 2007 1600 Nomad. They are a great bike. The 1700 is smaller, has 6 speeds, cruise control, and those ugly top-opening bags that look like an afterthought. The original side opening Nomad bags made them unique. The 1600 has a shaft drive and the 1700 has belt drive. Either one is a good bike and will be dependable as the day is long.

I crashed my Nomad in 2011 and bought a new Harley. I don't buy used bikes, so the 1600 was out of the question and I didn't care for anything in the Vulcan line up. My tastes had changed over the years and I wanted a solid touring bike, so that's what I bought.

Reactions: olfart

·
Administrator
6,275 Posts
I have owned both a 1600 Nomad and a 1700 Vaquero (same as the 1700 Nomad but with an added frame-mounted fairing AND the old style side-opening saddlebags).

The frame on the 1600 series is much longer feeling than that on the 1700 series, so the cockpit ergos on the two models are quite different. I found the 1600 felt heavier than the 1700 even though it was many pounds lighter in actual weight. At 6' even, about 250 lbs of front-loaded fat, I managed to fit on both models without many issues, but I did invest in risers for the 1600, not needed for the 1700.

Yes, both bikes have a top heavy feel at parking lot speeds, but oddly that is much less noticeable in the actually heavier 1700. You get used to it pretty quickly in either model. I did not notice any lack of acceleration in either bike, but then I'm no hot rodder on two wheels.

Both engines are apparently bulletproof. Both bikes are dreams on the highway. The newer 1700 has a sixth gear that you might wish the 1600 had, and its cruise control is a great asset when touring.

Plus what Skrap said.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool ty for the info my friend is a big guy like me so was one of the resons he was wondering about the dif of the 2 he is 6'2 340lbs he realy wanted to know if there was any power isues with them or if they where gona be strong enough for him and his weight I told him both where dbl the hp of my bike and would be good but he wanted me to ask about leg room and other stuff since I had no clue I wanted to ask yall the weight of the bike is not a issue he is a younger guy and is a stought ol hoss so once again thanks for the info I will tell him that the 1600 has more leg room and the 1700 has a few more options ty again and god bless:wayhappy:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so friend has now ridden both the 1600 and 1700 nomad and he also rode a 1900 stratoliner and while we was at the stealership he walked by a bike I never hear of a Rocket III Touring sharp looking bike he rode it and rode it home don't know anything about them but he said it just fit him beter and it had power like nothing else he ever rode but what you expect its got a 2300cc motor lol :biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
34,500 Posts
A friend of mine has the Rocket III Touring. It's a torque monster. Just tell him to be careful, it'll stand up without even trying. Other than that, it is an awesome bike for sure. Tell him I said congrats, he's going to love it!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok friend got his bike home and we went for a short ride about 100 miles and when we got back to my shop he was smiling like a opossum eating corn I was like what he laughed and said I couldn't keep up with him I told him wait just a sec and went out back and got my valk and told him ok lets give this one a try so just playing around we lined then 2 monsters up and would you belive it my 1500 valk was faster then his 2300 tried it a few times same out come each time I told him it has to be the rider no way a old girl like mine was gona out run that beast gose to show ya bigger not always beter :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.