Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a 2004 VL800 Volusa, After getting the 6000mile check up the gas gauge doesn't work and the shop said they did nothing to
the gauge. Any idea's what could be happening. My first step is to take off seat and check to see if the wiring is attached to the sending unit (under tank), if that is not the problem I'm going to check the sending unit in the gas tank, this is tricky because I don't know what I'm doing, the mechanic said I would most likely need the instument cluster on top of the tank to the tune of $400.00 plus. Just to mention, the flashing bar that flashs when the tank is getting close to running out of gas stays flashing even when tank is full. Thanks :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Pull the seat, lift the rear of the tank, look under the tank from the left side of the bike. At the rear of the tank you'll see a connector with 2 wires going to it, hanging down. It needs to be connected to the oppisite connector just below it on the bike. Common problem, yes it is the sending unit wires..

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Additionally I would question that shop's ability to work on a bike. If they don't know that they messed it up and are not willing to at least take a look to make sure they didn't f-it up I would find a new shop.

·
Pearly Gates Chapter
5,140 Posts
Yes see if it plug in good. if it is remove plug and see if the pins are not bent.

Take an Ohm meter and measure the ohms between the 2 pins coming from the tank should be around 10 Ohms or some where around that.

Put the meter to Volts Dc and check the pins on the other connector to ground. Not to each other to frame ground or neg side of the battery. You should have 12 vdc or less. With the key on for the volts DC.

Let us know what it is. I can't remeber what it should be on the suzuki.

if you don't have meter go to harbour frieght and for less than $10 you can buy one.

If you can't fiqure it out come to my house this Saturday moring and I'll look at it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fast reply

Gentlemen,
I will check it out tomorrow, thanks so much, when I got the bike out from the shop it ran good. Last year I installed a Lance & Hines muffle with the jet kit. I just found out about the K & N cold air intake filter
and I bought one, after I got bike back and you savy guys are laughing now, it ran 1/2 - full throttle breaking up badly the K & N is to much for the jets in it and I put the stock filter back and it runs very strong, I learned about the jets from another shop ( which is my go to shop from now on), the first shop saw the K & N filter and said I had bad gas. I'm not installing new jets, that's why I put the K & N up for swap. Again thanks very much for the help. Gary :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Garym262 said:
It's not that the jets are wrong. It's that you live too close to the ocean. It messes up everything on a bike. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not only the ocean,
On a trip to Africa, I woke up one morning and shot an elephant in my pajama'e....
How he got in my pajama's I'll never know. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,925 Posts
Icemanchp3 said:
Garym262 said:
It's not that the jets are wrong. It's that you live too close to the ocean. It messes up everything on a bike. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not only the ocean,
On a trip to Africa, I woke up one morning and shot an elephant in my pajama'e....
How he got in my pajama's I'll never know. :lol:
Grocho Marx.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the plug

The plug was not connected, plugged it togeather and it works, put everything back togeather and put the bike away, under the location of the bike there was a rubber grommet, I have to take everything apart and try any see where it goes. I'll do it after I get over the flu. I really thank everyone for their input, it saved me alot of money. I don't know how to do much one my bike****but I'm learning! Now I'm going to look in the book to see where that grommet goes. **Never give up, just say a dirty word now and again. Thanks everyone!!!! Gary :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Pearly Gates Chapter
5,140 Posts
Well we all just saved you $400. That makes us feel good.

Now you owe us lunch. Someday.

Only kidding.

Were happy for you. So go and get over the flu so you can go out and enjoy your self.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Is the rubber is about the size of a medicine bottle cap, with a hole in one side?? If so, it is what we call a "puck". If you slide the tank back gently and look at both sides of the frame at the front end of the tank you should see two of those that the tank slides onto. One probably fell off (the one you have). It should pop on a pin on the frame. You can stick a little silicone in the hole to "glue" it in place (do the other side while you are at it). Without them the tank will rattle and be somewhat loose.
Part number 9 here
http://tinyurl.com/at34em

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
If it is not that ^^^ take a pic of the grommet wand we can probably tell you where it goes.

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
Now that you saved $400. You know your repair shop would have installed a new speedo then connected the white connection and charged you $400. So send 5% of your savings as a donation to the VR site. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pull the seat, lift the rear of the tank, look under the tank from the left side of the bike. At the rear of the tank you'll see a connector with 2 wires going to it, hanging down. It needs to be connected to the oppisite connector just below it on the bike. Common problem, yes it is the sending unit wires..
I have similar problem. My fuel gauge shows 1 bar even though the tank is full. When you said it need to be conencted to opposite connector, what does that mean? I am a noice so please help me

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
I have similar problem. My fuel gauge shows 1 bar even though the tank is full. When you said it need to be conencted to opposite connector, what does that mean? I am a noice so please help me
When you lift the tank and look under it, you should see a connector hanging. If you look around where it hangs down to, there should be a connector under it. It has been years since I have had a Volusia (this post is over 10 years old!) but I think there were two wires on the connector.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
If you look at this video the small white plug he points out is the one "on the bike" that I am talking about.
Around 55 seconds he reminds people to lift up the back edge of the tank to connect that connector to the one on the tank.
To get to it you need to remove both the passenger seat, the riders seat and the one bolt at the back of the tank.

Reactions: bijoybn

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you look at this video the small white plug he points out is the one "on the bike" that I am talking about.
Around 55 seconds he reminds people to lift up the back edge of the tank to connect that connector to the one on the tank.
To get to it you need to remove both the passenger seat, the riders seat and the one bolt at the back of the tank.
Can you share me the video please. Thanks for all the support and help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I removed the tank and saw a Fuel pipe and and small connector (yellowish) which was connected. /but then thru the gaps down below I saw a white and black one hanging.. I thought they are external computer terminal connectors.. let me know if thats the one u talking about. I didnt get the video so not sure if we are on same page.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts