Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the bike as payload in the truck we experienced a huge rain event on the way to our riding vacation the other day. After we arrived and downloaded the bike the horn was not working and I thought the relay had gone out due to the rain. I went to Radio Shack and bought another one. Put it in and still no horn? And, now no speedo, no ODO, no Nuetral light or check engine light. I do have turn signal indicator in the speedo head and high beam indicator light.

Could I have blown a fuse and where do I look?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sounds like a fuse problem. I'd have go run out to get my manual, since I've never changed one nor looked for them. I'm sure someone else will be with you beofre I have that answer for you. Good luck & will check in on you!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Kind-of hoping someone else who really knows how to check these things comes along, but this is what I found.

OK, the main fuse is under the seat (assuming you have a volusia or c50- sorry, I cant remember), but that shouldn't be the problem if you have some working components.

The secondary fuses are located behind the left crank casr cover. To access the fuses, remove the left crank case cover. The cover is above/behind the side stand and removable by removing 3 screws at the top, left bottom, right side, then remove the cover. "When you find them, look for a fuse that is open, as they are designed to open when an overload exists in the individual electrical system circuits."

A blown fuse must be replaced with a new fuse of equal type and rating, of course... I know you know that... just insurance.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Based on your description of what isn't working, check the 15A SIGNAL and the 10A POWER SOURCE fuses, as the description of what they protect most closely matches your situation..... Hopefully there are some extra fuses hanging around in the box. Let us know!

:wayhappy:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a chance of rain here tomorrow and we pack up and head for Texas on Sunday, I may have to wait to check the fuses on Tuesday. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reactions: RellaLou

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
15A signal fuse.

It is common to all the things you mention.

I've had it blow on my bike and it took out every thing you mention.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
You may want to take the speed o meter assy. off and get it next to a heater or use a hair dryer to dry it out good, if not it will probly just blow the fuse again

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update... Fuse was blown, now dead battery???

Removed the left side cover and found the fuse box. Yes, the Signal fuse (10am) was blown. There was an extra in the box and I replaced the bad one. I've got neutral lights and I assume speedo. I've not ridden it yet due to a dead battery? We rode the bike last Friday for the last day of the week camping in FL. It rained all day and night on Sat. It started fine on Sunday to load the bike. 12hr drive home to TX and went to unload the bike. Walked it down the ramp and went to start it to put it in the garage and the battery was dead. I've ridden it for 3 years without battery issues. May be a coincidence... Again, we rode the bike for a few hours on Fri with a blown fuse.

Could this be the charging fuse as well?

·
Registered
800 Posts
All technicians are currently assisting other customers. Please enjoy the music as your question will be answered in the order it has been received.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
Leave it to beezer to come up with stuff like that:biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, your battery is probably getting weak. How old is the battery?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
3-4 years. It probably is a weak battery, it's just that as soon as I blow a fuse this battery issue pops up the same week? It seemed too coinincidental... And I've got a slow leak in the rear tire. I put it on the lift and pulled out a screw head. Decided to plug it due to the tires are only last summer and Metz white walls are $200 a tire.

Thanks,

RV

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
A tire 'plug' is a temporary measure, not a permanent fix. Beezer is correct. The smart move is to replace the tire.

Reactions: rvcycleguy

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I completely understand. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts