Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not speedy guy. Really. I feel comfortable when I ride about 60 mph. No more. I do not say I am not able to ride faster. I am ...

So, I commute on my C50. Around all year. I love that very much. You know. It is about 20 miles of commute. 95% on interstate. Speed limit is 55 mph, which is usual for DC area. Sometimes the interstate is jummed (hopefully I am able to use HOV), sometimes it is free.

I ride in left line. Anyway. It is safer, you know. If the interstate is free I have to keep 75-80 mph on the left line to be safe. It is true, because it is dangerous if somebody is passing you al right side. No problem. I can keep 75-80 mph there. It is not enjoyable, but it is acceptable. BTW, what does policmen think about this "safe" ride? I do not afraid policmen, I have not seen them in this time during 8 years ...

Let me continue. This week, on Tuesday I rode in left line and keep 75-80 mph as usual. Then I found that a few cagers passed me on right side. What is the hell? I increased the speed and notified the next cager, who was definitelly going to pass me too. I rode 85, mph, I rode 90 mph, I rode even 95 mph ... It is almost a top of speeed which my C50 can do ... It was uselless. This crazy cager found a moment and passed me at right side anyway. His speed was about 110-115 mph ... :/

So, no speed limits, I think

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
HA! Try the Atlanta Speedway. That is... any major highway heading into or out of Atlanta. Unless your doing a minimum of 85 stay the heck out of the left lane..... or get run over.

·
Registered
509 Posts
dc trafic

A cop I knew in DC told me that he was "instructed" to ignore all but the worst offenses during the morning and evening rush hours. Evidently they think it's more OK to speed than it is to make traffic worse.

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
Yep;

There are cities like Atlanta where 80 can get you run over. Unless weather is bad my minimum slab speed (unless exiting) is about 80. This is not abnormal in an American city.

The bright side of this is speeding tickets on bikes are rare unless you're riding like a complete idiot in a residential area or school zone or some kind of speed freak on the slab (100+) THe cops I've run into are appreciative of the fact that to stay out of traffic you should stay away from it.

There are states, like Montana, that do not post speed limits but they do have reasonableness standards.

No speed limits would not work in America. Everyone drives a car and the skill level is excessively low. Almost noone (99.99999) percent of AMerican drivers could ever fathom the kind of lane discipline and attentiveness driving the Autobahn requires. Also since there are so many roads, we cannot keep them in good condition.

So people end up driving too fast on freeways in bad shape.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^

+1

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
It does get bad at times.

Odd thing,
The last few years travelling to and fro between Salt Lake to Sacramento on I-80 I noticed traffic was at or near the 75 mph speed limit.

Where it turned into the Winston Cup was from Verdi CA to Sacramento.
Good weather or bad some folks just hammer that foot feed.

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
First andrushok it is good to see you posting.
I can't compare the traffic here with what you have to drive through but I can compare drivers. I have tried riding to the left of my lane and have had people pass me on my right (in my lane) with only inches to spare. The same has happened if I try riding to the right of my lane. It's like you aren't even there. I don't understand how people think they will arrive at their destination any quicker by doing this, plus it is just dangerous to us bike riders. I think some people believe that since they are in a cage they have ALL the rights on the roadway. I'm really surprised we don't hear of a lot more road rage incidents between bikers and cages.
I try to stay off the Interstate if at all possible, even if it takes me longer I'd rather take back roads and side streets.
Ride safe

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fletch24990 said:
First andrushok it is good to see you posting.
Ride safe
Thanks!
I am still here. :) I did not have _riding_ break, I just had a _posting_ break. The life is too busy. I will be in touch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts