Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions.........

I got the bike put back together from the winter maintenance and I cannot get her to fire.

Here is what I know so far.......

02 Vol - I had it apart to change a faulty fuel pump that was giving me no end of grief last year, after re-assembly - I tried to start, and - no fire....

She turns over - all the lights are working and it just won't fire.

I took the tank back off, checked all the fuses, checked all of the connections on the whole bike, pulled the plugs (they are new) - checked for spark with the old plugs as well. Still no spark!!

What should I check next?????

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Bike

Did you drink a shot of Crown before you
tried to start it?????????????

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Might want to check the coil(s). Not likely but it wouldn't hurt.

Make sure the system is well grounded. This is ALWAYS a possibility.

I would also check for corrision/bad contact where the ignition switch plugs into the wiring harness (behind the neck covers). This is the one I would check first.

If all else fails......get a Connie so you can keep up with Curt. :wink:

Good luck Sean.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think after a good night's sleep I found the solution.

although it goes against my better judgment, I am going to take it to the local wrench to fix......

With my new job, I just don't have the time anymore (or the patience) to try to chase down an electrical problem.

Besides, that will leave more Crown Royal time..........

I hope I get it back in time for ES

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you have time to check one more thing before you head to the mech, I'd check the orange and white wire coming from the ignition switch routed to the ignitor. If this wire is shorted, grounded out, or severed the bike will crank all day long without spark. All electronic components will function properly except for the ignitor. This wire runs from the red ignition switch to the ignitor which is on the right side just below and behind the cover around the key.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NewRider26 said:
If you have time to check one more thing before you head to the mech, I'd check the orange and white wire coming from the ignition switch routed to the ignitor. If this wire is shorted, grounded out, or severed the bike will crank all day long without spark. All electronic components will function properly except for the ignitor. This wire runs from the red ignition switch to the ignitor which is on the right side just below and behind the cover around the key.
Hope this helps.
By "red ignition switch" do you mean the kill switch on the handle bar?

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
dang sean, that eats! i hope they get it sorted out quickly and cheaply for you..

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
140 Posts
no1rvguy said:
NewRider26 said:
Hope this helps.
By "red ignition switch" do you mean the kill switch on the handle bar?
yes

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Continuity on the orange/white wire is good - no ground out. Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Here's a long shot, a real long shot. Back behind the battery box is mounted a "tip over sensor". Yes if you were to lay the bike on it's side, this sensor cut's power (no spark). During you winter maintenance, is it possible this sensor came disconnected or out of position? I mounted one upside down on my bobber project and it gave me fits for a couple days.
Viper

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
472viper said:
Here's a long shot, a real long shot. Back behind the battery box is mounted a "tip over sensor". Yes if you were to lay the bike on it's side, this sensor cut's power (no spark). During you winter maintenance, is it possible this sensor came disconnected or out of position? I mounted one upside down on my bobber project and it gave me fits for a couple days.
Viper
Ok, I'll bite

where exactly is this thing and what does it look like......(I did have the battery box out of the bike.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I'm serious, if you laid your bike down this thing shuts off the fuel pump and cuts ignition. It is attached to the wire harnes with a plug, back near the electronic "brain", is mounted to the frame I thought behind the batterybox (not sure). It even has the word "up" or "top" embossed on it 'cause it has to be mounted correctly or the bike thinks it's upside down. Must have some sort of mercury swithch in it. Now when I had mine on upside down the bike would start but would run for 2 seconds then shut off. That is on an '06 with fuel injection, ealier models may behave different.
Viper

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
I don't think they have the tip over switch in the Volusia's. I got real familiar with the electrical system on my '03 Vol while trouble shooting my no spark problem and there isn't one. Must be something they added with the Boulys.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Windburn Bill said:
I don't think they have the tip over switch in the Volusia's. I got real familiar with the electrical system on my '03 Vol while trouble shooting my no spark problem and there isn't one. Must be something they added with the Boulys.
So.......................how'd ya fix your no spark problem?
viper

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
472viper said:
Windburn Bill said:
viper
Yes Windburn......Do Tell........(please)

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
no1rvguy said:
472viper said:
Windburn Bill said:
viper
Yes Windburn......Do Tell........(please)
OOhhhhhh.....you guys didn't read the posts about my adventures in motorcycle electrical land?l Here's the short version. You ain't gonna believe this, but it's true. Bike is 5 years old. Grease from the the left swing arm pivot point had liquified and dripped on wire harness connectors located directly below it. Oily stuff worked it's way into the harness plugs and caused a bad connection in crankshaft position connector. No CS postion signal to ignitor=no spark. Cleaned connectors with electrial spray degreaser and varoooom....on the road again.

Took me 2 weeks to figure this out. Bought a new Ignitor module in the process. You can imagine my dis-appointment when that didn't fix it.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Ok rvguy, when it comes to electrical $hit, sometimes you just got to bite the bullit and get the dealer involved. You better start thinking about it, the frost will be out of the ground up there soon and you'll 2-3 weeks of good wheather before it turns cold again, and Eureka is just around the corner. Git-er-done!! :lol:
Viper

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
472viper said:
Ok rvguy, when it comes to electrical $hit, sometimes you just got to bite the bullit and get the dealer involved. You better start thinking about it, the frost will be out of the ground up there soon and you'll 2-3 weeks of good wheather before it turns cold again, and Eureka is just around the corner. Git-er-done!! :lol:
Viper
I hav4e a couple of things yet to try....

I have a spare Throttle position sensor somewhere from an extra carb i bought a while back, and I am going to try to bypass all of the safety [email protected]! and see if I can get a spark by hotwiring it. If all of that fails - I go bike shopping.......(it's a long walk to Granny's for that Chocolate Gravy!!)

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Easy way to check your safety devices. Unplug the harness connector from the ignition module (under the seat). Look for a group of four wires. Turn the swtch to the run position. Check the voltage on the orange/white wire, should be 12.5 or whatever your battery voltage is. If it is, all your safety switches are closed.

In order for 12.5 volts to be at this point it has to pass thru the igniton switch, kickstand safety, clutch safety, kill switch and any other safety on the bike.

For more info go to voluusiaowners.com/index/library/electrical troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
No1rvguy wrote

.......(it's a long walk to Granny's for that Chocolate Gravy!!)
Do you think Mark would let you ride B!tch? :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts