Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm yet again getting my 2003 Silver & White Vol back into shape after a long layoff. Just like after the last layoff, put a new battery in & the damned thing fired right up. (Gotta love that!) But in shopping around for tires & maintenance/ check-up service, I went to RideNow to check their current prices on such things. I expected they might be a little high & I'd have to do some internet price matching to get them to be more reasonable. However....

They won't service my bike at all. They won't even put new tires on unless I take the wheels off & bring them in. I thought this was a rather unusual business practice for a supposed "dealer". But the service rep told me is was a corporate decision that they would no longer work on bikes that were more than 10 years old!! WTFO?!?! The "dealer" won't work on the bikes? (I checked Suzuki's site - RideNow is still listed there as "an authorized Suzuki dealer". And they still operate a repair & maintenance shop, so....) Color me confused. Then again - Perhaps thinking "dealer" & "service Center" went hand-in-hand is wrong headed (How silly of me to have thought that.) If they weren't so dad-gummed expensive on nearly everything, I might be more upset. The rep referred me to CSA Motorsports down the road. (In the RideNow rep's defense, he told me it was killing him to turn me away without even being able to offer some prices/ services to compete for my business. But it was a "head office" rule he couldn't just ignore.) My step-son also has some pull/ contacts at S & S Motorsports that works on all kinds of motorcycles. Hopefully, between S&S & CSA, I think can probably hook me up w/ just as good service/ advice @ what I think will probably be decent pricing. Still, I regret not having the support of the "dealer" that, in turn, has the support of the manufacturer & likely either has a lot of the parts I'd need for repairs/ maintenance or can get them quickly through that manufacturer/ dealer supply chain.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
lame customer service...will turn some off the brand for that alone.Shame. Good luck on finding someone/someplace who can provide the service you need...these kind of things usually are a blessing in disguise. Still sucks thats its a decision the suzuki company is forcing you to make.First I've heard of this practice tho...not wanting to service a 10 year old mc, especially since those are the ones that will more than likely be requiring service and repairs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...Still sucks thats its a decision the suzuki company is forcing you to make. First I've heard of this practice tho...not wanting to service a 10 year old mc, especially since those are the ones that will more than likely be requiring service and repairs.
Not sure it's Suzuki's decision. It could possibly be a decision made by RideNow. I'd think that Suzuki would have some input into that, though. Then again, when I checked Suzuki's site, it indicated they were a "dealer". And perhaps that doesn't necessarily imply that they are bound to "service" all Suzuki products. IDK. But it is a hassle.

The cynic in me wonders if it's a ploy to make maintenance more expensive and/ or harder to get done so that people (like me) - who are into "ridin'", but don't particularly want to get into "wrenchin'" - see it as an incentive to buy a new bike. It irritates me as I'm currently of the mindset that when this bike dies, I might be done riding. (Financial priorities these days are such that I'm not certain I'd want to buy another bike. Still love riding, but there are other things to consider.)

But hey! - I'm not there yet! The Vol is still going strong - at least, for now!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Very interesting. The nearest bike dealer to me is the RideNow in Concord, NC. I hate to hear about this. That's where I got my last set of tires.

So they'll sell you a 16 year old motorcycle, but then won't service it.

Thanks for sharing this. That's one dealer to scratch off the list.

Reactions: Bass Player

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting. The nearest bike dealer to me is the RideNow in Concord, NC. I hate to hear about this. That's where I got my last set of tires.

So they'll sell you a 16 year old motorcycle, but the won't service it.

Thanks for sharing this. That's one dealer to scratch off the list.
I'd be curious to know if they say the same thing to you (Is it a RideNow company wide policy, or those in AZ/ under a particular franchise owner, or even just the one store I happen to be near?)

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd be curious to know if they say the same thing to you (Is it a RideNow company wide policy, or those in AZ/ under a particular franchise owner, or even just the one store I happen to be near?)

They're closed now, I'll call them tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
whwnever i have had issues with a dealer, i just go to corporate, its amazing how things change when corp schedules the service

·
Registered
528 Posts
So just got off the phone with RideNow in Concord. Got a quote on a set of tires for my bike. No questions about the age of the bike at all. It must be a local thing for your dealer. Or perhaps in Arizona only?

·
Registered
328 Posts
It is a dealership thing...not a manufacturer thing....Some dealerships around Louisville KY and in Indiana will not work on any bike over 10 years old,,,no matter make/model...one reason-finding parts....once a model is changed or discontinued, the parts may no longer be available from the manufacturer....even with tires, they dont want to make exceptions for any type of service so they have a blank slate, no bikes over 10 years old in the service dept...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts