Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals, I am new to this forum. I bought an 03 Volusia anniversary edition CHEAP. I have a new battery installed, and I removed and inspected and cleaned the ignition switch and checked the 30 amp fuse. When I turn power on, there is no sign of power anywhere. I bought it this way knowing there was some electrical issue. Previous, original owner, said he was told by a non bike mechanic that it needed a wiring harness. I dont buy that. Any advice would be appreciated. I am in NJ buried under snow, so I have time to track this down. Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
431 Posts
Follow the whole wire harness and make sure there's no splits anywhere. Unless he meant that you really need a harness because there isn't one at all!!! :) Let us know what you find. good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would start by checking ground connections,they can cause lots of wierd problems. Then start tracing power from the battery through the system a good color coded wiring diagram will be very helpful. Good luck let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An important thing I didnt mention. The lower part of bike was flooded by fresh water during Sandy. I just pulled the side cover off where the fuses and relay are on. I see some corrosion on the fuse connectors. I will clean all of those first. Rich

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more item..I do have a factory shop manual, so I have the diagrams. Almost time to watch the Daytona 500..Thanks for the quick replies, and I will update as I go along..Rich

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
A lot of folks have had problems with the ignition switches going bad, I would look there if you have no headlight and after you clean the fuse connections.
I hate rain delays!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh, I hate them too..I have a red and a red and blue wire not connected in the fuse box. My WONDERFUL wife, who hates motorcycles, is out getting some fuses for me. Somebody has seriously dicked with this bike. Interesting thing, is wiring diagram shows a red wire, but not a red and blue

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I have a wire harness from an 04, it has 1 wire that is disconnected at the speedo plug. If you would be interested.

o.k. I just went and looked at my spare harness. the red and the red/blue wire are inserted beside the white and white/blue wires in the fuseblock, and that is the point where the SPARE 15 amp fuse is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, here is what I found so far. I have a red wire which has 12v on it. From looking at the wiring diagram, that appears to come from the battery, through the starter relay to fuse 3 which was missing, hence the wire was just hanging. Wiring diagram shows that there should be another solid red that goes to the speedo housing. I dont have another red. I have a thinner red/blue that isnt connected anywhere and doesnt show in the wiring diagram. Looking for ideas from someone who understands wiring diagrams. My next step is to peel back the harness and see if it connects to the speedo..Thanks in advance, Rich

·
Registered
431 Posts
Seems like someone messed up all them wires! Best bet, open up the harness and make sure all is good. God knows what else has been messed up. Make sure once and for all.... That's my 2 cents.... Good luck!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ok, here is what I found so far. I have a red wire which has 12v on it. From looking at the wiring diagram, that appears to come from the battery, through the starter relay to fuse 3 which was missing, hence the wire was just hanging. Wiring diagram shows that there should be another solid red that goes to the speedo housing. I dont have another red. I have a thinner red/blue that isnt connected anywhere and doesnt show in the wiring diagram. Looking for ideas from someone who understands wiring diagrams. My next step is to peel back the harness and see if it connects to the speedo..Thanks in advance, Rich
Use an ohm meter. Don't take the harness apart. Put the meter on continuity. Hook one leed to a wire then go find the other the other end.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Wow... mess is right. Appears like the flood did a job on that bike and someone tried to Jerri-rig the wiring. Unless you got the bike for free, it might be too far gone. And any repairs you might be able to do could be temporary due to on going and continuing corrosion. You might consider taking the electrical down to minimal for MV inspection only, meaning separate on/off headlight switch, turn signals, and foot brake light only.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rvcycleguy, no I didnt get it for free and I find your comments a little insulting as you have not even seen the bike. This was minor fresh water damage. If you saw the bike, you would have no idea that it was in water for a short time. I spent 37 years at IBM as a customer engineer, and had to find, fix and repair machines far more complex than a motorcycle. This is a challenge, and I am sure with answers from knowledgeable folks on this site, we will get to the bottom of this. If someone out there would check their fuse box under the side cover, and let me know if there are 2 red wires on fuse 3 or a red and a red/blue, it would be appreciated..Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Rvcycleguy, no I didnt get it for free and I find your comments a little insulting as you have not even seen the bike. This was minor fresh water damage. If you saw the bike, you would have no idea that it was in water for a short time. I spent 37 years at IBM as a customer engineer, and had to find, fix and repair machines far more complex than a motorcycle. This is a challenge, and I am sure with answers from knowledgeable folks on this site, we will get to the bottom of this. If someone out there would check their fuse box under the side cover, and let me know if there are 2 red wires on fuse 3 or a red and a red/blue, it would be appreciated..Thanks, Rich
Did not mean to insult you in anyway. Not my style here.... Most here will vouch for my sincerity, integrity to help members in anyway i can. Just reading your posts and questions members have asked and answered. Fresh water is not necessarily minor. You've already determined rust and corrosion and wiring that does not fit the bike. You may have issues with the final drive gear, front hub, clutch, tailight, turn signals, etc. you don't know that yet, because you have no power yet. Hope it's all minor and you can tell me you told me so! Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem..All the connectors look fine other than the fuse 3 socket. I see nothing butchered other than the 2 red wires. I know where the hot lead goes, just not sure of the red and blue. It has gotten too darn cold here in northwest NJ to mess around with it. Will most likely wait till we get above freezing again.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I agree with all of your assessments thus far by consulting my manual, I happen to have my tank off so I looked at my speedo connector, there is in fact a red wire with a blue tracer in that connector.
It doesn't show what sort of "magic" happens in the speedo circuit board that would prevent a no power condition to all of your lights, ignition ect.

If fuse #3 has a solid red going to it and open on the other side of the fuse block it must be the mystery wire. I would pull the speedo off an verify it with an ohmmeter first then if is a complete circuit plug it in and try it.

Good luck, Motiv

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Motiv..I am starting to think there was an error in the wiring diagram not showing the red-blue tracer

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
So, you didn't read what I posted in post #8??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did, but I wanted to see if someone could check on an operational bike. Just curious why you have a used harness, and how much do you want for it? Rich

1 - 20 of 50 Posts