Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Here is my sad story.

It all starts quite innocently with me changing oil, KN air filter and plugs. No troubles until I went to restart the bike.

I heard an odd buzz but the fuel pump primed and the bike started with no trouble. Then within 10 seconds the FI light came on but the bike still ran fine.

When I shut down and turned key, the pump would prime but the buzz continued.

OK, so I skinned the bike and removed the airbox again. The buzzing was coming from the first set of valves which were vibrating away. Then while I was watching they moved a bit and stopped. And so did everything else since now it won't even crank. No fuel pump prime. FI on immediately.

All fuses check OK. Headlights still work.

Any ideas gang?? I'm stumped.

I also checked error codes and got C17, C18, C41 and C49.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My bike wouldn't start because one of the wires got disconnected. In my case it was the black wire from the white connector from fuel pump to harness. Make sure nothing got loosened up while working on your bike. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
C17- Intake air pressure sensor (IAPS).....under remarks it says "For Rear Cylinder".

C18- My service manual is for a 2005, it does not show a C18 code.

C41-Fuel pump control system......Fuel pump, fuel pump relay.

C49-PAIR control solenoid valve.

The number one rule of troubleshooting, go to the last thing you touched.

I heard an odd buzz but the fuel pump primed and the bike started with no trouble. Then within 10 seconds the FI light came on but the bike still ran fine.
I would check the connector going to the PAIR valve solenoid. If that is disconnected it will through an FI code.

The buzzing was coming from the first set of valves which were vibrating away. Then while I was watching they moved a bit and stopped.
Not sure which "set of valves" you are talking about. I'm hoping you are not talking about butterfly valves. They are controlled by the secondary throttle position sensor and if you moved them manually at any time you were doing the air filter you might have stripped the plastic gears inside the sensor. (but that should through a C28 or C29).

Go back over everything you did and look for loose connectors, pinched or chaffed wires. If you don't find a quick fix you may have to get with some one who has a service manual and work the trouble shooting chart for each of those codes.

My throttle position sensor was bad from a wreck. I was able to get one off a throttle body that a guy was parting out and the install involved a series of ohm readings to get it set right.

What year of bike ?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The buzzing was coming from the first set of valves which were vibrating away. Then while I was watching they moved a bit and stopped.
Yeah that sounds like throttle position sensor is attempting to set the butterflies but it can't 'cause the gears are stripped.

Are you sure that "C18" is not a C28 ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
error codes

I will check the codes again tonight. Would any of these problems result in the starter not turning over? I didn't mess with the butterfly valves but I'm open minded.

Thanks for your help. The C90T is a 2007 with about 10K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Resolved but I don't know why

OK, so I check everything over and decide to try to start it again. NO PROBLEM. C00!! Is there a ghost in the machine. I hope it left as mysteriously as it came. Leaves me unsettled though. Guesses? Suggestions? Pretty weird.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I only hope that I never have this issue, being without a garage, tools, and at the mercy of the incredibly few and overburdened Chicago area shops. Kudos to you and your machine.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
OK, so I check everything over and decide to try to start it again. NO PROBLEM. C00!! Is there a ghost in the machine. I hope it left as mysteriously as it came. Leaves me unsettled though. Guesses? Suggestions? Pretty weird.
anomaly

: deviation from the common rule : irregularity
: something anomalous : something different, abnormal, peculiar, or not easily classified
Sometimes there simply is no explanation, hope for the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts