Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, the budget bobber build continues.
Made my own wide white walls ( have since done the rear tire too) and am working on a permanent seat instead of the re-purposed rear seat in the photo. I am closing off the crossover pipe and ordered some chrome exhaust tips that will fit at the end of the stock head pipes.
I am grinding off the paint from the tank and will seal the raw metal on the rear fender/tank/forks/etc....
spaced out the headlight with some large caliber shell casings
used a $20 trailer fender for the rear fender, drilled 3 mounting points and reused the allen head rear fender strut bolts to attach it.

Going back and forth with the idea of shaving all the mounting points for the covers and side panels... does the battery box HAVE to be covered to protect those electronics? what about the fuse block cover? I would really like to "bob" all the covers that aren't absolutely necessary...

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weekend work

Got out to the garage this weekend, was 73' Saturday but is 24' today (wtf?! LOL)
Keeping the raw steel look - tank and fender cleared, forks swirled and cleared. Still have some things to do (clearly) but it is coming together.

Will try to get some pictures of the notch in the fender needed to clear the drive side swing arm. Used a 3 bolt system to attach the fender, allows me to put spacers in if i need to adjust it. No, it is not passenger approved, that is what my other Vol is for :)

Got exhaust tips from ebay for $9 (shipped!) to go at the end of the stock pipes, fit well and slipped over the chrome shields. Still need to plug and weld shut the crossover pipe

Relocated all the wires under the tank from theheadlight bucket - had to extend the headlight harness but cleans it up since I extended the bucket bracket and I could see all those wires running in/out.

Yes, I made my own white walls with a $7 can of rubberized krylon. spray paint .. will see how they hold up.

Wired rear and front turns and tail/brake light, thank GOD for a test light lol - made the tag bracket from an old license plate.

--- Wondering how tall apes can go without having to get new cables... any advice?

--- Need to do something about an actual seat pan (yes, that is the rear seat flipped around) has anyone had good experiences (or bad) with Acufast seat pans?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your bike is looking sweet .. Those tips make the exhaust really complete looking. The bolting the fender on is a great move. I welded mine on with a pretty close clearance and im a little nervous about getting a new tire of a different brand. Just enough clearance to get the wheel off and on now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your bike is looking sweet .. Those tips make the exhaust really complete looking. The bolting the fender on is a great move. I welded mine on with a pretty close clearance and im a little nervous about getting a new tire of a different brand. Just enough clearance to get the wheel off and on now.
Oddly enough there are already 2 holes fairly high up in that plate, for some accessory I guess (?) I drilled one of those through and added 2 more, would have probably welded mine on too if I had a welder, or the knowledge of welding ... what i had was a drill so that is what I used lol. The stock rear stainless fender bolts are the perfect size and length to relocate down there , so that was nice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Project finished ...?

She is done... I think ... did 100 miles Saturday, ran great (is loud!) Seat pan is more comfortable than it looks - still a soft tail and i have my own padding lol.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts