Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the electrical power to my C50 completely died.

It's a nice warm day here in DE and I decided to take a ride to the polls and vote. I got there no problem (5 min. ride), voted, and I was stopped waiting to take a left into my driveway when my bike died completely.
No electrical power at all, nothing.

I pushed her into the driveway and popped off the seat. I thought it might be a blown fuse, but it does not appear that the 30 amp fuses are blown. The forward most fuse was very loose and back one refuses to come out at all. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. I am by no means an electrical genius.

I guess the battery could be bad, but can that happen out of no where like that?

Any idea's on what is wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Jim

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Loose battery cable. These bikes are notorius for requiring very tight battery connections. You can even check for tightness and all seems ok and then you can tighten down a fraction more and it may fire right up.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
I've had a battery in my car die like that. Everything was fine ..........stopped for about 5 minutes, then got backin and it was dead!

Wound up being a bad cell in the battery and it caused the whole thing to "F" up. Had to buy a new battery.

Reactions: soapy1950

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Yep, when the key is set to "on" I get absolutely nothing, no matter which position the kill switch is in. Although I wish that was the problem!:wayhappy:

Check your kickstand switch and your clutch switch....

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
So what you're saying is that with the switch "ON" you have absolutely nothing, as if the battery were not even in the bike? If so I would check the battery terminals and wires (at both ends). Then the main fuse (both ends and the holder). If these are good then I would suspect the ignition switch.

Reactions: Jduffy1776

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mystery solved!

I first tried tightening the battery cables and the bike actually turned on. When I pressed the ignition switch there was a pop near the battery and once again complete power loss. I thought a fuse had popped but they were both good to go. I played with the battery cables again and once again the bike turned on. This time I watched the battery/fuse box area when I pressed the ignition switch. And there it was, a spark near the negative terminal.

The ground wire for the Cobra fuel processor was touching the clamp for the battery cable and arcing. I moved the grounding wire and retightened. She fired right up after that!

Thanks again to everyone that responded!

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Mystery solved!

I first tried tightening the battery cables and the bike actually turned on. When I pressed the ignition switch there was a pop near the battery and once again complete power loss. I thought a fuse had popped but they were both good to go. I played with the battery cables again and once again the bike turned on. This time I watched the battery/fuse box area when I pressed the ignition switch. And there it was, a spark near the negative terminal.

The ground wire for the Cobra fuel processor was touching the clamp for the battery cable and arcing. I moved the grounding wire and retightened. She fired right up after that!

Thanks again to everyone that responded!
Glad you found the problem.... and fixed it without any further damage... :wayhappy:

Reactions: Jduffy1776
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.