Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come from a sport bike riding background and now have been given a
2006 C50T that I am bobbing. I am used to very fast, crisp, hi-rev shifting.
This C50T sounds like the clutch is not releasing inside under quick, high rev shifts , even though I have released the clutch handle and rolled off full throttle between the shift and then immediately on full again it just seems like its releasing very, very, slowly inside. Kinda sounds like it just stays at the same high rpm for ever and then very slowly starts to decrease and then go back up for the next shift. It also sometimes seems to over rev when in 5th and I roll up hard on full throttle as if to pass.
It does not do this under low throttle, or slow shifting and there is no creep at all when stopped or any other issue.
The new installs below are all post clutch issue and have not had any effect on shifting issues.
Any Ideas would be great.
I have just installed: Short drag bars, FI2000R & Cobra straight drag pipes, a cold air system, new plugs, mobil1 oil change.

·
Registered
19,506 Posts
It is not a sport bike. It will not behave like a sport bike. It will not shift like a sport bike. There is a clutch adjustment that needs to be done periodically. It is located under the left side chrome cover, near the floor board. You adjust it by running both the handlebar and transmission side nuts all the way in, remove the cover, loosen the10mm locknut. Tighten the set screw just until you feel resistance, then back it off 1/4 turn. tighten the locknut and reinstall the cover. It takes about 10 min to do and might help you with your shifting issue. Though I believe it is performing exactly how it is intended to and you're expecting too much out of the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and the quick reply. I just didn't want to hurt it any more if there was a real issue. I may indeed be expecting too much, as I am not sure exactly what to expect. I will go through the adjustments and see what happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adjusted everything as per the link (thanks lv2tinker), no change at all.... I will just drive the crap outta it and throw a new clutch in it when it wont go no more. Gotta do the valve adjustment and new gaskets on top.
Clutches are easy to change anyways and this bike has 136K miles on it. Came from a real biker- as in he only has a single motorcycle and rides it everyday, everywhere he goes, no car or any other vehicle, regardless of the weather he rides.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yea, having never really ridden a true sport bike, i feel my m50's clutch is pretty responsive. for a while it kinda sucked because i put some rotella and it basically messed up the fiber on the plates. get yourself some Barnett Clutch plates and Barnett Springs. Best thing i've done with the bike by far.

Holy Moley 136k miles on the bike?! unless he's does his clutch recently that clutch is probably worn out completely.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I would suspect the clutch needs replaced, with the miles and the symptoms you described. When I replaced the clutch on my 02, I used a kit from Barnett that had the springs and discs. Made a huge difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts