Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quicksilver, Mercury Marines Lubricant Division came out with a line of synthetic motorcycle and ATV oils. (For those who may not know, Mercury Marine is I think the largest maker of Marine engines in the world.) I have always used their lubricants in my boats as they market a lot of specialized ones, in fact many years ago I suggested using their "Spline Shaft" lubricant on the splines of our bikes, after all, their lubricant is made to resist submersion in salt water ... ANYWAY ...

Many Walmart Super Centers sell this new motorcycle oil for $25.95 for a gallon, synthetic 10/40 or 20/50 Jaso MA 2 rated oil. If your local Walmart doesnt have it you can most likely get it delivered online. Its over $7 if you buy it by the quart.

The oil is located in the same display as Mercury's marine section of oils in your Walmart. Not all Walmarts have this section but I was surprised to see both Walmarts near me have it.

Im still using Valvoline 20/50 Conventional Motorcycle oil, happy with it, doesnt shear fast, great shifting, have a great UOA on it from Blackstone ... but MAY try the above oil one day if I get bored and wnat to try a new oil, then get it tested.

BTW, the Valvoline Conventional Motorcycle oils in Walmart are only $4.00 a quart and again, got a fantastic Blackstone report on it from my current bike in 2012.

Here is the new line of oils ...

Street Vehicles – Lubricants | Quicksilver Products

Ps. hope you all have been well!

·
Registered
19,499 Posts
Figures.... I just bought 10 quarts of Mobil 1 on sale for $8 a quart..... Thanks for the heads up!!!

BTW, Still loving the VStar?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skrap!!! Its been a long time, rushing off to work right now, will fill you in, if you remember, at the time, your input was a big push forward when I was looking at that vstar.

Yes, still have it, love it .. but Im am starting to get A.D.D. (you know how that goes) doubt I will do anything this year and in fact just ordered a Mustang sissy bar backrest to go with the Mustang seats for my wife, came in yesterday ...

I was looking around/ tinkering with the idea of a "new to me" Nomad 1700 ... but not this year, (right?) if ever ... but yes, love the 1300... I gotta run and get to work ... !

·
Registered
19,499 Posts
Great to hear!! Have a great day and we'll catch up later!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Funny. I was in Walmart last week looking for a gallon of synthetic oil and spotted the Quicksilver. Having used their products for years in my Mercury outboard and been satisfied, I bought a gallon. We'll see how my bike likes it pretty soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
West Marine sells it as well as do most of the small marine shops in FL, oddly enough my local
ChiCom Mart here doesn't list it. You would think that all FL ChiCom Marts would sell it. It is most likely gonna cost more but I have not bought anything from ChiCom Mart since Clinton was in office. I will gladly pay a little more to help my local small businesses that have not been driven into extinction by that monster.

·
The Village Idiot
5,017 Posts
Man..ran into advanced auto for their mobile 1 full synth vtwin that they had on sale for 8. Back up to 11. Crud. Missed it. Gonna check out wallyworld tomorrow. Monday gonna be 70. Wahoo.

sent from this small hand held talkie thingy.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figures.... I just bought 10 quarts of Mobil 1 on sale for $8 a quart..... Thanks for the heads up!!!

BTW, Still loving the VStar?
Well ... its early Sat morning, one more day of work to go, then off Sun and Mon. FINALLY supposed to be getting into the upper 70s near 80 this week, just as it has been a brutal winter up north, for the south on a relative scale, its been brutal!
Hey, we all know you cant go wrong with Mobile 1, always good UOAs on the stuff and worth the premium, more so at the price you paid. I think the Quicksilver would be a good sub for the others that use the 5/40 Rotella but in time only UOAs can bear that out.

The 1300, well, so far I put just about or over 10,000 miles on it, now at 17,000 and hasnt need a repair yet, other then the usual tires, oil changes, just threw on a set of rear brake pads, took about 15 minutes,changed brake fluid and for the heck of it just threw in a new battery. But sometime in the next month or so ... I am at the dreaded first required 16k valve check time. If you read any forum, everyone complains about valve checks, no matter the bike, but looking at it, I still THINK I will have a bit more room over the c50, we will see. I am not looking forward to it, for one reason, it wastes time off! Most report very little if any adjustment was needed at 16 K but it seems to be the most important because its the first one, after 16 K it seems like you can go on forever.

Bike has been rock solid ... a few two up and solo trips into the Smoky Mountains, Maggie Valley, Chimney Rock, Blue Ridge, Pisgah Forest area.
I also have started REALLY enjoying the interstates more and cruising at a steady 75 GPS speed, the speedo on the 1300 is off by 9%. So to go a true 75, your speedo has to say 82 ish! I think that is intentional by a lot of bike makers.
Anyway ... so got used to interstates and then start wondering if I would want a Stratoliner, Roadking, Cross Roads, or Nomad 1700 and believe it or not, the Nomad is best fit for my wife and I. Not the highest rated for sure. But I like it ... and ... just talking, not sure if I ever will want a more heavy bike ... but you never know ... it was a long winter here and had to much time at home and driving around looking at bikes!
I liked the Cross Roads a lot too, could have picked one up for a steal last fall .. but ... all for the better...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny. I was in Walmart last week looking for a gallon of synthetic oil and spotted the Quicksilver. Having used their products for years in my Mercury outboard and been satisfied, I bought a gallon. We'll see how my bike likes it pretty soon.
Yes, just the fact that they are selling a motorcycle oil in a gallon container can be a game changer in the industry if many people start buying it. Why on earth are we forced to buy motorcycle oil by the quart? Profit.
I hope, FINALLY things start changing, just like an automotive oil, you can buy large containers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just used the Quicksilver synthetic oil. First oil change on my c90t BOSS, also put synthetic in the differential. Saw an immediate improvement in shifting, that first to second knock is still there but not as harsh. Shifts even better through the gears too. Also went to local steep hill, 4th gear slow speed and headed up hill, no clutch slip at all. Thanks for the tip on Quicksilver, now longevity will be next test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts