Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is selling me his suzuki volusia 800
he doesn't want to ride anymore so he is selling me his bike it has 7000 miles on it and he wants $2500 for the bike i think it is a great deal the bike is like showroom new
i am however a little scared to get on the bike as i have not ridden in quite some time is the bike easy to control and ride is what I'm asking
hope i don't sound like a pu--y?
any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just started riding again after 35 years and am loving my c50 and my renewed riding adventure. I was a bit nervous too but took a basic riding course and learned the right way to do things. Go for it and enjoy your new freedom!
Welcome from Dublin, Ohio

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey from South Central Kentucky. I bought a c50 as my first bike 2-1-14 and have put about 700 miles on it. I was a little shaky at first, but it rapidly became natural to me. I signed up for the first MSF beginners course available, but it isn't until May. In my noobieness, I say sign up for a course, go slow, don't do anything beyond your comfort and you will grow to love the bike. This forum is awesome too but can cost you money as you will get all kinds of ideas on dressing up your bike. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
25,127 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

First, the MSF Basic Rider Course is an excellent idea. Here in GA you even get a waiver for your license riding test upon completion, so it's well worth it.

The Suzuki Volusia/Boulevard is a very agile bike with limited power. I think it's a great first bike, as it's easy to handle but won't get you into trouble if you gun the throttle too much.

What year is your bike? I ask because they killed the Volusia name in 2005 and replaced it with Boulevard. If your bike is 10 years old with only 7k on the clock I would highly recommend changing all fluids, replacing the tires (even if they have tread left, due to dry rot), lubing and tightening anything you can get to, and I'd probably even adjust the valves. It's a lot of work, and the tires won't be cheap, but you'll have a very reliable bike that you can trust when you're done.

Here's to many safe and happy miles for both of you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Welcome from Massachusetts! I bought my 2003 vl800 last year for $2500 w/ 2330 miles on her. I thought I got got a steal. I consider that a very good price for 7000 miles. What year is she?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. I bought a new 2103 C50T and get it next week. I have been riding a lot but a different type of bike so I understand your nervousness. Take it slow do a course and enjoy your bike. It sounds like you got a great deal.

Katie

·
The Village Idiot
5,017 Posts
Take the MSF course definitively. I took mine even before I rode much less even owned a bike. That was about 5 years ago and riding my C50 is an addiction. You will love it. It is an easy bike to handle and it looks about 3x bigger than what it really is. I was nervous at first and took my first ride on the super slab of I270 on the north end of Columbus during heavy traffic and a veritable monsoon.
Now I am not suggesting you do that...but all I am saying is that by surviving that, my confidence was immediately okay after that.
My number one riding tip for you...make sure you are looking plenty far ahead and not down at the pretty reflection of the sky in your headlight and fender B-)

sent from this small hand held talkie thingy.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Welcome. The bike is really easy to control. I have a lot of nerve damage in my arms. Bad back. My opinion is that if I csn easily control the bike, most anyone can.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The bike is a 2004 and has been taken care of properly the tires will need to b changed out might go with the whitewall package i really like the vintage old school look myself.
Thanks for all the suggestions and i will b taking the MSF course in PA.
Thanks from the Keystone State

·
Registered
6 Posts
Howdy from another red dirt Okie. Just wanna re-emphasize the msf course. It is well worth it. I just bought my second Boulevard. You have a great bike, learn slow to ride fast ! Brantley in Oklahoma

·
Super Moderator
20,425 Posts
welcome from ct...lots of good advice here from other members especially about the msf course and giving your mc a good service changing all the fluids and replacing the tires...got some great roads out there in Pa as well as folk here in the northeast...hopefully we'll cross paths of one of our rallies there. Enjoy and ride safe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts