Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just purchased a 2002 vl800 with 18k miles, wanted to know some tips on what to expect on things coming up for maintenance.

Also not used to not having a rpm gauge and when I cruise at 75 80 sounds like its high on the rpm. Is that too high of speed for these bikes to cruise on?

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
welcome...as for the high rpm's...pretty much the nature of this 800cc mc engine...many have gone to a dj mod which helps with that and I'm sure you'll get opinions from those who have gone that route...will advise you to check the date on the tires regardless of how good they look...bike is 18 years old and unlike a car with 4 wheels, something happens at 70 mph because of a tire that was too old...not going to end up well for you...good luck and enjoy the new toy.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Welcome from Florida :)

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
80 mph is high RPM and pretty much at the limit of what the bike can do. It can go a bit faster, given enough time and a flat enough freeway. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Greetings from Arizona (for now). Congrats on the new ride. The VL800 is just about maxed out at 80MPH, so the angry sewing machine sound is to be expected. Other than a DJ Drive conversion, you don't have a lot of choices to improve that. The Volusia/Boulevard was designed as a cruiser and never meant to be a highway burner. Slow down and enjoy the ride. They are great bikes for what they were intended.

X2 on the tires. Anything older than 5 years should be replaced, regardless of how "good" they look. You are depending upon a patch of rubber the size of your palm. When they fail, you fall! Replace them with Michelin Commander II's.

Welcome to the forum! Plenty of friendly people here with tons of experience. Just remember...1) Don't feed the monkey and 2) Never ask what oil is best for your bike! LOL

Ride Safe and Often!

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
Greetings from Indiana.
All rubber lines need replaced as well as the brake fluid. If you don'tknow if things have been replaced, replace them. YOUR life depends on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Just to caveat on what has been put out" hahaha... DJ drive or slow down is the only answer for the high rpms. You can get a tach that mounts to the top plates on the risers if you can find it, it's an oem suzuki piece.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome, I myself am anew owner of a 2004 vl800 Volusia, had 9018km 25 days ago, now 10350km. Bike does feel like it needs that extra gear ( my 84 gs400 has 6 gears). Other than that I LOVE MY BIKE!!!!
Hope you get out and enjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts