Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering a set of Pirelli Route 66 tires in the morning, just looking for an opinion or comments from anyone that has ran them. Getting the set for $211 shipped. Was seriously contemplating going dark side, but getting this kind of deal and seeing that some guys got up to and over 16000 miles out of them changed my mind.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have these tires on both my c50's I am glad you didn't go to the dark side, my friend did and now he doesn't have a bike anymore after he slid off the road due to a car tire

·
Registered
21,416 Posts
I'm running them on my Virago. I have no complaints.

When you get them, be VERY CAREFUL with internet ordered tires. Vendors have a bad reputation for shipping you old stock. Check the manufacturing date on the sidewall to confirm the year and week made. Anything older than 2009 (09XX) should be immediately sent back. Tires have a shelf life....

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
They'er very good tires. I use them on my C90. I got nearly 12k miles on the front and 17k miles on the rear.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Had them on the last bike. Good tire. No issues.
If you buy your tires from Motorcycle Superstore you will get fresh tires.
Been buying tires from them for the last 8 years for two bikes and haven't got a old date yet.

Reactions: proudtexson

·
Registered
819 Posts
Aged Tires - Michelin web site.

How old is too old? The five year test

After five years or more in service, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year. If the need arises, follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer regarding replacing the original equipment tyres. As a precaution, if the tyres have not been replaced 10 years from their date of manufacture (see how to read a tyre sidewall), Michelin recommends replacing them with new tyres. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellas. Borrowed my buddies jack and started tear down today, I have to find a 12mm Allen key to get the front tire off though.
Tool kit that came with the bike has that wrench.

·
Super Moderator
34,500 Posts
Get a set of T Handles, they'll be your best friend. I picked up a set at O'Reilly for about $30, and after using them to do my clutch I would pay twice that to replace them. So worth it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the tires in, made in 09/14, so got brand new ones. The Pledge worked great for getting the tires off and back on. Hand balanced them after getting them on the rim, had all the weights on hand so no extra money there. Took it real slow on the way to work this morning, did a lot of inter lane weaving to work all the sealant off the tread. Got out to about an inch from the edge on the front, not as far on the back. I will say that these babies sure out handle the Bridgestones I had on it. There are a few places on my route that have grooves in the pavement and these tires didn't even care they were there, not even the slightest wiggle at all. The bike turns in so much smoother, just have to get used to the hightened responsiveness. Running 29 front and 36 in the rear for now to see how I like it. May change that after I see what the wear pattern does. The ride was completely vibration free, so must have gotten the balance right. I'll keep a close eye on the tread to make sure I don't have to get them re-balanced later. Only one mishap (took a tire spoon to the chin) in the whole endevor. Note to self: don't place yourself over a prying object, at least not your face....LOL. All in all not too difficult. About an hour to tear it all off the bike, about 2 hours to swap the tires and about 35 minutes for re-assembly(learned enough during tear down to put it all back real quick). Sorry, I was too focused on the task and way to dirty to take pics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went with those from the Owners manual. It seems to be riding good right now. I don't want to get too high and cause too much wear on the center of the tire. I don't normally ride with passengers so don't need the extra pressure in the rear.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So.......after reading this thread I guess I should consider changing my tires. I have a 05 with the original tires. It only has 12,000 miles but it is on it's way to being 10 yrs old. I would hate to crash because of a measly $200 or $300 investment.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
So.......after reading this thread I guess I should consider changing my tires. I have a 05 with the original tires. It only has 12,000 miles but it is on it's way to being 10 yrs old. I would hate to crash because of a measly $200 or $300 investment.
You are wayyy past due, even if they have good tread. I never hesitate or skimp on tires, remember, they are the only thing between you and the asphalt. I had good luck with the new Metzeler ME888's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.