Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

New Tires?

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  gman2705 
#1 ·
I'm about to replace my tires, front one's just old and showing signs of dry rot, back one is bald as a babys butt and it only has 5500 miles on it. Ther rear is a Dunlop, not buying that one again!
I ride almost daily to and from work 40 miles round trip. I ride with a club or buddies several weekends a month. What would YOU put on your bike under these riding situations?
Thanks in advance.
RottMan

#2 ·
The Wife's C50 has wide white wall Metzlers (ME880 Marathons) which are showing little sign of wear after around 5,000 miles. The wide white walls have a classic look and Metzlers are know for giving good traction and performance. They achieve this by being a soft rubber which can wear faster than other tires in some applications.

On my Road King I've switched back to Dunlops. I get around 10,000 miles on a rear and can get 20,000 on a front. When I tried a Metzler on the back of my RK it wore through to cords in 7,800 miles! I average 18-20,000 miles on my bike per year which means I go through two rear tires and one front every year.

The big difference in wear I have seen is due to the weight difference of the bikes (200 lbs) and the extra grunt/twist the RK's motor can put on the back tire during acceleration.

Remember to always check your tire pressure and get in the habit of checking your tires for cuts, scuffs, and abrasions. This is easily done if you have a lift. I find it easy to check mine as I spin them during cleaning with the bike off the ground. You've only got two tires on the road and that equates to a contact patch just smaller than a cigarette pack for each tire. Not much surface contact when you think about it, so you've got to make sure your two tires are up to the task.

Edmo

#3 ·
The ME880s were recommended to me. I have yet to get them as I have a few k left on the IRCs. Metz were recommended over the dunlop an avon.

#7 ·
I replaced the factory IRC's with Avon Venom's. Rear @ 12,000mi, Front @ 15,000. The venom's ride / handle MUCH better. I now have 27,000mi on the bike. The rear has about 1/2 tread, front still looks new. The cheapest I found them was @ Crusier Customizing, I recall it cost about $250.00 for the pair, delivered. Hope this helps you out......

#8 ·
I am in a similar situation as Edmo. ME880's on the C50 and Dunlops on the RK. That HD ate the Metz's up. The Boul loves them, they get great wear and performance. Like Edmo I attribute it to both the weight and torque.

#10 ·
Metzler 880's or Perelli 66's I have had good wear and handling out of both tires. If you don't need the WWW the Perelli's are less money.

Ride Safe,
Rex

#13 ·
I currently have the Perrelli MT 66 tires. They've worn well, 14,000 miles or better on them.
I recently found a deal on the Kenda Kruz tires and bought a set. Heard good things about them, and the price was hard to beat.
I also use the bike to travel to and from work, and lots of riding on the weekends.

Ride Safe
Wayne :)

#14 ·
gman2705 said:
I currently have the Perrelli MT 66 tires. They've worn well, 14,000 miles or better on them.
I recently found a deal on the Kenda Kruz tires and bought a set. Heard good things about them, and the price was hard to beat.
I also use the bike to travel to and from work, and lots of riding on the weekends.

Ride Safe
So what do you think about the Kenda Kruz so far?

#15 ·
RottManK9 said:
gman2705 said:

Ride Safe
I haven't gotten them yet. They're in transit. Hoping to get them within the week.

Ride Safe

#16 ·
gman2705 said:
RottManK9 said:
gman2705 said:

Ride Safe
I haven't gotten them yet. They're in transit. Hoping to get them within the week.

Ride Safe

Well, guess I have to take my foot out of my mouth here.
Just called JC Whitney where I ordered the tires from. Was expecting them this week, but was told they were on back order. Expected delivery date was May 31. That's the day we start our Florida trip.
So, I cancelled that order, and called Dennis Kirk. They have the Pirelli MT 66 tires in stock, and will be shipping them out today. Total cost, $163.00 including shipping.
I do hope this helps.

Ride Safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.