Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reinstalling the wheels on my c50. I ended up pulling them myself and taking them into a local motorsports shop for mounting and balance, I think they did a fine job. I ended up doing more maintenance and cleaning during the process than I originally planned for but glad I did it myself. Greased driveshaft splines, polished some chrome, etc. (thanks to this forum on the shaft grease). + I got to buy a M/C jack. My oldie transmission jack was just too high for the bike...

Well, I still consider myself a M/C newb... How should I break these tires in? Just fart around and take it easy in the corners? Did I waste my time and money installing junk Korean tires?

Your opinions are always appreciated. :grin2:

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
The tires will have a mold release agent left on them from manufacturing. It will take about 100 miles to wear it off and give you virgin rubber. It helps to lean the bike from side to side to "scrub them in" and get them ready to ride.

Shinko makes a great handling tire, but they are not known for their durability.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
X2 on the 100 mile break in period. You can also find a big parking lot and do a bunch of figure 8's to help scrub off the sidewalls. Just be careful during the break in period. Shinkos are fine tires, but as mentioned, not the most durable.

Ride Safe & Often

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you gentlemen, I will take your advice. I forgot to mention they are the "H.D." version of the tire. I'm not sure what kind of difference that makes if any.

Keep stock/recommended tire pressure in your opinion? (32psi front/36 rear)

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
It won't make any difference. Shinko uses a really soft (and grippy) compound. It grabs the road and inspires a lot of confidence, but it is as durable as a pencil eraser.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good to me. I'll ask for cheese with my whine when they are chopped and balding. Hopefully I can get at least 5k miles out of them. They must be safer than the 14 year old IRCs... I just went on a 20 mile quick spin with several slow curves and my initial thoughts are these things are terrible (felt out of balance or round at speed), but after 10-15 miles or so they started to feel better. I'll try it again tomorrow. :smile2:

Running recommended pressures for now. In another post someone said air them suckers up slightly below max psi on sidewall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had them on my last bike, a VS800. They were what my local (non dealer) motorcycle shop recommended and what he said the sold alot of. I only had them about a year and 1500 miles before I sold the bike. For that period I was pleased with them.

I actually will probably buy another set for my current bike real soon unless he recommends something different.

·
Registered
19,446 Posts
They are fine tires. If you ride less than 5k a year, then you will only have to replace them yearly. If you ride more than 5k miles per year, then you will be replacing them a lot more often. They have an attractive price point, comfortable ride and good grip. But when you have to replace them 2 or even 3 times in the same period that a premium tire would last, you quickly spend more than you would, had you gotten the better tire in the beginning.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Find a gravel driveway and ride up and down it a few times...the gravel will help scrub the tires. I have a 150' gravel driveway...I have the Shinko 777 on the rear of my bike...put on spring of 2018 (May); the bike is my daily commute bike (2007 C50) (76 miles round trip with 60 on superslab)...I have approx 8,000 miles on the sr777 and still have plenty of tread (not to the wear bars yet). I also have the sr777 on my nc700x and I have 4000 miles on the tire this year alone (mounted in April)-the tire was great in the Smokies this last May. However, when the 777 on the C50 wears out, I will probably go back to the Pirelli rt66 (get about 14,000-16,000 on the rear with that tire). I would place the rt66 on the Honda except they don't make a size which even comes close for the Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been running 777 s on my Road King for several years. Grip is fantastic. Mileage not so much, but I can still get abot 7000 miles out of a rear. On my 5th set now.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just take it out on the highway. That’s how I break mine in. I live near a newer less frequently used interstate so I get on the interstate and ride for 20-25 miles or so getting off and on at various points so I can lean on the on/off ramps.
I too have Shinko WW777. I bought them in October 2014, I put about 8500 miles on my rear tire before it started to show wear and I replaced it last summer with another 777. My front is just beginning to look like it wants to show wear and it has 9800 miles on it. I have another tube and tire to replace it already though.
I had a Ninja 250 for a spell, another story, that I only got 4,000 miles out of and when it started to wear I could see the compound leaving every ride I took. It was bad because I only rode that bike to keep it from sitting up. Emailed Shinko about the quicker than normal wear on such a light bike and they asked me a few questions about how I rode air pressures, etc. and said it was normal wear but they sent me a replacement tire anyway. Had about 1500 miles on it before I sold it.
I’ve had tires that lasted longer than I expected and tires that wore so fast you could literally see it happening so just keep an eye on your tires.
Keep the rubber side down and you should be good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm sold on Metzeler's. I just replaced my 5 year old Metzeler front tire this week, had 10,000 miles on it, still had probably 20 to 25 % tread left.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts