Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I did a search for this and couldn't find anything. I am about to buy new tires. I know to check the mfg date. But how old is to old.
I would prefer no older than 1 year but if you know that you'll be using it up right quick you might talk a deal on a tire up to 3 years old. I wouldn't go older than that.

Most dealer ordered tires come from a warehouse that has high inventory turnovers... Sometimes you'll hear of an online purchase where the tire is older but the local dealer shouldn't be a problem like that if you tell them you won't accept a tire older than a certain date.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
The rule of thumb is to discard tires that are more than 5 years old from the MANUFACTURING date, not the installation date. All tires are shipped to warehousing facilities after they are manufactured. How long they sit in the warehouse and what conditions they are subjected to greatly affects the rubber compound. Heat, humidity and ozone all act to denature the rubber compound and age it. So a 'brand new' tire that was improperly stored for a long period of time should not be accepted or installed on your bike.

Once they are on your bike, pay attention to the sidewalls as they will show the first signs of wear (cracking, chemical blooming). If you see any evidence of this at all, remove the tires at once, regardless of the remaining tread and replace the tire with a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts