Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post (http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=66523) I described how I converted my rear amber turn signal lenses to red. This was to prepare them for becoming run-turn-brake lights. I also planned on adding additional lights to the back. Well I finally finished the project. Here is how it looks:

I added the following lights to the back: Signal Dynamics - LED License Plate Frame Chrome w/ Red Sides (SD-2026) from www.xchoppers.com, Kuryakyn Smooth, Red L.E.D. Mini Bullets (KY-2386) from www.DollarRider.com and Universal LED Reflector Replacement Light, Red from www.electricalconnection.com.

I got a KURYAKYN Run-Turn-Brake Controller (#4710) from www.oneidasuzuki.com.

I had a problem with the brake circuit on the controller not working properly. After an exchange of emails with Kuryakyn they finally issued an RMA# back to Oneida. Initially, they tried to tell me that I was using their controller "in a configuration it was never designed for." After step-by-step describing my trouble-shooting process to them, the finally issued the RMA. Oneida sent it to Kuryakyn but were absolutely clueless as to whether they had received it, sent it on or anything. Apparently the people we talk to on the phone and email are either unable or unwilling to let customers know what is going on. In any event, a replacement controller appeared unannounced in my mailbox one day. While Kuryakyn and Oneida finally did the right thing, it was not a good experience from a customer service/communication perspective.

I put the mini bullets in place of the stock reflectors. I had to drill out the hole which held on the reflectors. I took out the stock, rectangular reflector, which is in between the turn signals, and, using silicone adhesive, glued in the LED reflector. I discovered that the LEDs appear to be directional in their lighting. I ended up turning the light over and drilling a small hole for the wires to pass through the back of the light housing. Initially the wires had lined up with a hole that was already there. It may be that it was fine and my eyes were playing tricks on me. In any event it works fine.

I used double sided tape to attach the controller to the top, inside of the light housing. I soldered all of the connections and used heat shrink to insulate them. I have a Kisan Tailblazer for the main brake/tail light and wired that in ahead of the controller so it is not affected by the controller. I did not connect the white wires for the turn signals in the license plate frame since they were controlled by the controller and just cut them off. I wired the black ground wires together by going from light to light soldering/heat shrinking the connections so there was only 1 ground wire coming off of the frame. I did the same for the two running light wires (white) and brake light wires (red) for the brake lights. Therefore I had five wires coming off of the license plate frame (left turn, right turn, brake, running light for brake, and ground) rather than 12 (three for each LED light). I used heat shrink to hold them together and made sure the wires stayed flat rather than turning into a round bundle. This made it easier to pass the wires though the gasket around the light housing. I used silicone adhesive to hold the wires to the back of the license plate frame.

I did end up using the load equalizer that came with the controller. I used a wire tie to hold it against the inner frame down where the turn signal wires attach to the wiring harness.

Overall, I think it came out well. Everything is contained within the tail light housing. While it took a lot of work, it think it ended up being a neat installation. If I were to do anything different, it might be to use the LED reflector light from J&P Cycles. I saw one in their Ormond Beach store and was told it was not directional and it was also a little cheaper.

Here is a video of how it worked out:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Great job Paddyo...!!!
That is a lot of light for the rear...I don't see how anyone could miss seeing your bike, especially at night.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Run turn

Terrific job...Id pay you to do mine! :)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Looks good Paddy. Glad you finally got taken care of by Oneida.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Muatzu hard bags

Do you think this setup would work with Muatzu bags I would like to have run/brake and turn on the bag lights. Would I have to change out the LED lights on the bags??

Thank You

1 - 5 of 5 Posts