Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

New Road Glide

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr. Efficiency 
#1 · (Edited)
Just for curiosity's sake, and because of all the hoopla about them coming back, I test rode an HD Road Glide yesterday. While the bike was typical HD bagger feeling (I've owned three so I'm very familiar with how they handle), I gotta say that fixed fairing feels HUGE compared to the batwing. Sitting on the bike for the first time felt strange, because you have this thing that looks like it's the size of a loveseat strapped to the front of your bike! It totally blocks the view of everything directly in front of you. If the neighbors dog was 5 feet in front of your bike when you left for work, he'd be dead, because you'd never see him. I didn't like that, not at all. It felt very strange. Overall the ride is nice, the fairing DOES block the wind better than my old Electra Glides, but not enough to make me a fan of the frame mounted fairing. Way too many bells, whistles, and buttons on the handlebars................GPS..........stereo system buttons......cruise control.....volume controls.............just too much to mess with for me. Underneath all that IS a motorcycle, I guess. It handled really nice after I got rolling, went through the curves great. I thought the fairing would affect handling because it "looks" like it weighs a ton, but it didn't. Once rolling out on the four lane (we had about a 5 mile route) the bike cruised along nicely. I have to say, though, that even with the 103", the bike felt underpowered. My FXDC is a 96", and from my seat of the pants feel, my bike would leave this thing in the dust. At times I felt like I was on an old 350 Honda, power wise! Must be because it probably outweighs my bike by 300 pounds. The seat was very comfortable...... very comfortable..... but at only 5 miles who knows if that will last after an 8 hour day on it. Paint, chrome, etc. was typical HD......very nice. Pipes were QUIET.

All in all, I liked SOME things about it....seat, floorboards, fit and finish......................but that HUGE, view blocking, fixed fairing would be a deal killer for me. Also....WAY too much "junk" on the bike. I like a simple motorcycle, no radio, GPS, big screen readouts, dashboard motorcycles for me. Looking at all that was like being in a car. Nice bike if you like that sort of stuff........just not for me. And.............for a 103".........the engine was pitiful. I got back on my little Stage 1 96", and felt like I was on a rocket ship in comparison.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice review. The feel of the fairing is most likely the result of familiarity and personal taste. It's a good thing that there is more than one flavor of bike out there! :wayhappy:

Indeed. I've never heard a negative review of an RG once someone rode one. I had a 2009 E-Glide and couldn't wait to get rid of it once I rode the Road Glide.

Best bike HD makes in my opinion, hands down.

And having owned a 96 and a 103, I'd love to run into you on the road sometime, I can tell you my 96 was not even close to my 103. And the new 103 have a much better cam setup. The HO and TQ numbers are pretty far apart from the Dyno info I've read.

Some bikes just aren't as good as others, I had kind of given up the idea of owning a Harley after riding a 2008 with a 96, it was the slowest bike I'd ridden. For better or worse, the 2009 96 was much better, my 2012 103 better than that, and the demo on both a SG and RG were even better, stock.

My 103 with a programmer, stage one AC, and complete exhaust change is easily the best cruiser I've owned, although it took all that to match my 2006 Yamaha Road Star.

#5 ·
As they say....different strokes........some people love the Road Glides (my BIL just ordered a new one, trading in his StreetGlide). Everyone who owns one says they're the best HD made. I gave up baggers after owning three. I'm a more simple, old school kinda guy. Started riding in the mid-60's when every thing was pretty much two wheels and an engine. Still like my bikes that way, I guess. Nothing wrong with the Road Glide, just not my cup 'o tea. Glad you enjoy yours!

#6 ·
I rode the Utra Low yesterday. Great bike for short folks but even I felt pushed forward too far, gotta do something about that reach seat. Other than that I liked everything else about it.

Yeah, infortainment still makes me giggle, maybe I'll never turn it on.

I had read that the 103 was like a 96 Stage 1. I don't think so, it seemed to pull a lot harder than my stage one.

I'm supposed to go back and talk numbers with a sales guy today but this dealer is notorious for being really hard to deal with.

#12 ·
I can live without all that stuff myself DieHard. I like the 88 more than the 96, and I like the 96 more than the 103... You see a trend. If I was going more than 500 miles I would use a Road King with a windshield and a waterproof duffelbag... Or a Heritage Softail. I did a 450 mile biker thing on a Heritage last year and certainly enjoyed it more than the overweight baggers.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories

A German friend of mine has a 1600 touring bike and complains about the 30 k price tag so he can have a bunch of stuff he doesnt use. "Who in ze hell needs a stereo on a motorbike?"

My sentiments exactly. If I toured on a Harley, it would be a Road King or a Softail.

#15 ·
In the two years I've had my SG I bet the radio has not been on a total of 15 minutes, I just don't listen to it.

Vance and Hines pipes plays the only music I want to hear, and the best sound comes from a Harley V-Twin. But the radio comes with the fairing and I like the instrumentation of the batwing.

It's a compromise, I like the simplicity of a full windshield, but there are things about the batwing I like too. Maybe I'll paste a picture of my grandson over the infotainment screen. :biglaugh:

I'm stuck on the Ultra Classic and am going to pass on the Limited and I hear there is no Nav with the 4.3. I choose not to upgrade so it will be back to a cradle mount Garmin on the rare occasions I use GPS.

I was pleased to find out yesterday that the Mustang Low Down seat I have on my '08 fits '08 to '14 and I'm thinking that means it fits 2015 also. That would save me $500.

#14 ·
diehard, you FXDC feels like it has more power because it is much lighter than the RG.

Which model did you ride? special? CVO Ultra? I still have to ride the new model. most likely will do so at Americade next year unless the demo truck comes to dealerships close to home.

I’ve had a springer and a Street Glide, and to me the RG is the best handling Harley. The fairing is secured on the frame so no weight is placed on the forks. Yeah some people don’t like it, but that is why we all are unique, I say ride what you like.

#21 ·
Now he has some really great sneakers, Beez. And oil resistant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.