Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
At this point I have a total of 4 bikes. 2 of which are a 2004 VL800 and a 2006 C50T. I prefer the Vl800 only because it has carbs. They both run great but I'm old and have worked on carbs my whole life. Anything goes wrong with the FI I'm at the mercy of the repair shop. The VL800 is a little cold blooded but that is why it has a choke. You can't go wrong with either one. Just keep up on the maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The bike I had was a 2004 VS800 last year before the switch to the Boulevard S50.

When I said they where the same I guess I should have said similar in that they both have 805 cc engines, shaft drive, single dics brake front, rear drum brake, 5 speed, liquid cooled mid weight cruizers made by Suzuki. I didn't mean that they share the same parts.

My VS800 was carborated, of course, same as the pre 2004 volusia. I mistakenly thought 2005 brought the same carborator/fuel injection change as it did with the Volusia but I was mistaken there.

My VS800 might have been the exception to the rule, but I never even had to touch the choke if it was above 20 degrees. It idled and ran as well as my fuel injected 08 C50.

I liked the throttle feel of the carborator vs the fuel injection, but that could be a difference in my 2 bikes vs anything elese.

I had the VS800 for only 2 years. Never had any problems in that short time.

On the VS800 the battery location was the worst design I ever saw. Under the bike in a trap door. Had to jack up the bike just to get it out. A battery tender is a must. The battery was more expensive and not the typical one founder on most local shelves. The post come in from the side. You have to remove the cables before dropping the trap door. You have to do the negative first or you will short something. It's not easy to see which side is negative and a mistake could easily happen. Not a deal beaker but a real pain for shore.

Plugs and radiator cap is easy to get to on the VS800 vs the C50 which needs to remove the tank.

I liked the stock saddle bags on my VS800 way better than stock on my C50. The VS had hard bags with locks that looked like leather. My C50 has leather bags that have 2 buckels per bag. Again this is just between my 2 bikes and personal preference.

The C50 much more comfortable for my frame. I also personally find the Volusia/C50 to be way more visually appealing.

For me the C50 is clearly better. But if the S50 fits you good I would not hesitate.

The S50 and VS800 intruder don't have a good following and can be bought cheap if you shop around. It took a long time for me to sell mine @$1800 and it was in near perfect condition with 8,000 miles. I bought it used for $1650 and it needed tires at that price. The guy was asking more and had been trying to sell for a while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It is a smaller bike, that has been around since the 90s. It is small and light, compared to the C50. As for reliability, I can't comment. It is not a common bike.
Totally get that now that I finally got to see a Volusia tonight....bigger, heavier...more substantial. Loved it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The bike I had was a 2004 VS800 last year before the switch to the Boulevard S50.

When I said they where the same I guess I should have said similar in that they both have 805 cc engines, shaft drive, single dics brake front, rear drum brake, 5 speed, liquid cooled mid weight cruizers made by Suzuki. I didn't mean that they share the same parts.

My VS800 was carborated, of course, same as the pre 2004 volusia. I mistakenly thought 2005 brought the same carborator/fuel injection change as it did with the Volusia but I was mistaken there.

My VS800 might have been the exception to the rule, but I never even had to touch the choke if it was above 20 degrees. It idled and ran as well as my fuel injected 08 C50.

I liked the throttle feel of the carborator vs the fuel injection, but that could be a difference in my 2 bikes vs anything elese.

I had the VS800 for only 2 years. Never had any problems in that short time.

On the VS800 the battery location was the worst design I ever saw. Under the bike in a trap door. Had to jack up the bike just to get it out. A battery tender is a must. The battery was more expensive and not the typical one founder on most local shelves. The post come in from the side. You have to remove the cables before dropping the trap door. You have to do the negative first or you will short something. It's not easy to see which side is negative and a mistake could easily happen. Not a deal beaker but a real pain for shore.

Plugs and radiator cap is easy to get to on the VS800 vs the C50 which needs to remove the tank.

I liked the stock saddle bags on my VS800 way better than stock on my C50. The VS had hard bags with locks that looked like leather. My C50 has leather bags that have 2 buckels per bag. Again this is just between my 2 bikes and personal preference.

The C50 much more comfortable for my frame. I also personally find the Volusia/C50 to be way more visually appealing.

For me the C50 is clearly better. But if the S50 fits you good I would not hesitate.

The S50 and VS800 intruder don't have a good following and can be bought cheap if you shop around. It took a long time for me to sell mine @$1800 and it was in near perfect condition with 8,000 miles. I bought it used for $1650 and it needed tires at that price. The guy was asking more and had been trying to sell for a while.
Thank you, Wgttgw. I checked out a 2003 Volusia 800 tonight - so different to the S50! Meatier....Heavier. I like both bikes. Gotta make a decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hi again. Talked to a friend tonight who had a C50 and whose wife currently owns an S50.
He said they're both good bikes, but C50 is definitely better.
I expressed my concerns that the C50 would be harder to manouever due to it's size, and he said that it's actually more nimble than the S50.
Wgttgw, has that been your experience?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ended up going for the S50 - It just felt right for Me, for Right Now. After I get a 1000K under my belt...probably by the 2021 riding season, I'll consider shopping around again....probably for the C50 :)

Thanks everyone for all your advice and wisdom!

·
Registered
20 Posts
he said that it's actually more nimble than the S50.
Wgttgw, has that been your experience?

They both handled just fine. I went from riding the S50 one day to the C50 the next. Other than feeling immediately more confortble on the C50 there wasn't much of adjustment. There's probably only 100 lbs different in weight.

If you short person the S50 will allow your feet touch the ground easier. I believe they both are similar in seat height but the S50 is narrower which makes it fell lower to the ground. The S50 is probably just right for a smaller guy or lady.

My VS800/S50 was more fun in some ways because it was noticeable quicker when you really twisted on the throttle. In the end I'd choose being more confortble on the C50.

If you have any interest in a mustang seat, I have one I keep meaning to list on Ebay or offer up for sale on this site.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If seat height is a concern on the C50, I bought the Saddleman Explorer for mine. Not because of the reach, but for the built in back rest. It sets you down and back from stock, but has a high back.

Attachments

Reactions: Andy Legros
41 - 48 of 48 Posts