Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just picked up a 2005 C50 with only 2200 miles on it last week. rode it for 140 miles this weekend and really didnt detect and problems except heard moaning sound coming from the front brakes, rear seemed fine. It cant need new pads can it? Could it be the fluid? i understand thats supposed to be changed every couple years and this has not been changed at all. the only thing that has been changed is the oil in 2011 which i believe a good synthetic was used he spent $90 bucks on it.

my question is this, what should i do or have looked at on this bike that is almost 10 years old but has basically no miles?
brake Fluid?
Engine oil?
what else?

Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tires for sure; supposedly tires are only good for 5 years period after that they are subject to dry rot whether they have been ridden on or not. Also, I would change the oil anyway; it has been sitting in the crankcase for 2 (almost 3 years); heck I would change all the fluids for the same reason.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
So i just picked up a 2005 C50 with only 2200 miles on it last week. rode it for 140 miles this weekend and really didnt detect and problems except heard moaning sound coming from the front brakes, rear seemed fine. It cant need new pads can it? Could it be the fluid? i understand thats supposed to be changed every couple years and this has not been changed at all. the only thing that has been changed is the oil in 2011 which i believe a good synthetic was used he spent $90 bucks on it.

my question is this, what should i do or have looked at on this bike that is almost 10 years old but has basically no miles?
brake Fluid?
Engine oil?
what else?

Thanks
I would say both of the above need changing....

Brake fluid... use a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid in the master cylinder and refill with new... use care to slooooowly pump the brake lever and then open the bleed screw to let a little fluid out... make sure you don't release the brake lever while the bleed screw is open... you can also try letting gravity do the bleeding for you... cycle atleast 3 full reservoir fills through the bleed screw before sealing up the system.

------
Engine oil.... what Ogre67 said^^^^^^

----------
Antifreeze use a good aluminum compatible one and mix it 50/50..... make sure you check the expansion tank behind the transmission cover on the left side......

-------
Tires..... good idea to check the side walls and tread grooves for ANY cracking.... check the side walls for the date code stamped into an ''oval'' on one side... first two numbers are the month second two are the year....(0909 = 9th month of 2009)

----------
final drive oil.... check the level... many change this out and use synthetic 75w90. brand is not that important.

-------
your front brake ''moan'' is just showing the pleasure of being ridden again... ;) -- seriously though, check for wear/grooving and discoloration on both sides of the rotor. some of the ''moan'' could be from glazing on the stock pads but can't guarantee a difference with the sintered pads that some install for better braking....

-------

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did check the tires, I know they are old according to tire manufacturers, but they have only a coulpe micro cracks on the side and tons of tread. I do plan on replaceing them but probably not until after the rest of these items, sound like I need to get a quote on replacing all the fluids in the bike and hope its not more than I paid for the bike :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I did check the tires, I know they are old according to tire manufacturers, but they have only a coulpe micro cracks on the side and tons of tread. I do plan on replaceing them but probably not until after the rest of these items, sound like I need to get a quote on replacing all the fluids in the bike and hope its not more than I paid for the bike :)

I'm still running my original tires as well. 2000 miles last summer, and they appear fine. Having said that, I will admit that I "think" about the tires a lot, and wonder if the age, alone, is cause to replace them. Although no emergency, I will probably replace them this season just to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still running my original tires as well. 2000 miles last summer, and they appear fine. Having said that, I will admit that I "think" about the tires a lot, and wonder if the age, alone, is cause to replace them. Although no emergency, I will probably replace them this season just to be on the safe side!
yeah that's like me, I think about them but really they do look fine not dried out at all I don't think they have seen the sun for more than a couple days. However those tire manufacturers are good at scaring us into thinking they are just going to dissolve someday soon! I want to put some commander ii on there just don't have the 450 lying around at the moment. Looks like they want 85 each for doing the coolant and brake fluids.

·
Super Moderator
25,153 Posts
After I bought my bike I found a shop that changed all fluids and did a valve adjustment for $300, so you shouldn't go too broke. Speaking of which, you should probably do a valve adjustment.

As for the tires, I would do those before I did the fluids. If you blow your engine you stop moving. What happens if you blow a tire in a curve? Personally I consider the consequences of bad tires to be far more severe than old oil, but maybe that's just me. :blackeye:

Congrats on the find, that's some seriously low miles!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I bought a used 2005 C50T last year with only 7,500 miles on it. I got a good price on it and took it in right away to the dealer and had all the fluids changed and new tires put on it. Since then I have added crash bars, Mustang seat, upgraded the grips and put a rear luggage rack on it. The mechanic at the dealership I took it to told me that there was not need for a valve adjustment unless I just wanted one. It runs fine and starts right up, so I decided to wait on the valve adjustment - any comments on that from anyone else? I currently have 10,000 miles on it

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I bought a used 2005 C50T last year with only 7,500 miles on it. I got a good price on it and took it in right away to the dealer and had all the fluids changed and new tires put on it. Since then I have added crash bars, Mustang seat, upgraded the grips and put a rear luggage rack on it. The mechanic at the dealership I took it to told me that there was not need for a valve adjustment unless I just wanted one. It runs fine and starts right up, so I decided to wait on the valve adjustment - any comments on that from anyone else? I currently have 10,000 miles on it
I'm probably as biased toward accurate valve adjustments as anyone can get so you can take my comments in that light.

If your bike hasn't had a valve adjustment in 10k, I would say it needs it.

Most people say ''check the valves''..... but that could mean that the ''checker'' only makes sure that they all fall within the spec range.

What should, and needs to, happen is that all the intakes are set to the exact same clearance and the exhaust valves are set to their own exact same clearance. That is when the performance benefits are seen!!

I've been putting on between 7 and 10 thousand kilometers per season for the last 3 years. I set the valves every winter during seasonal maintenance/mod time. Listening to friends vl800 I can tell the difference in the ''sewing machine'' sound and the response difference after the correct adjustment is noticeable.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Go to auto parts house and buy some "Dics brake quiet" or "
anti squeek". What ever they call it. Spread it on the back side of the pads and reinstall. Change the fluids yourself. Replace the tires before you ride it anywhere.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I bought a 2005 c 50 last year with 16 k, the first thing I did was get new tires on it! you only have 2 it isn't like a car when a bike gets a flat you could end up a vegetable!
is it worth the pain and hardships that could happen over 200 bucks for tires?
get the tires then the fluids break out your plastic!!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I believe age is the best reason to replace them ,they aren't your fathers tires 5 years is the max
tires break apart these days with age

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i agree with everyone that the tires are the only things that touch the road and are very important. Its just having seen tires all my life i can pretty much tell these are in good shape and have never seen the light of day, i do want to replace them just didnt think think it was an immediate need. You can see them pretty good in this shot. I am going to start pricing them though.

I will try the brake quiet stuff. I was going to bleed myself but everyone freaks out about letting air in or something and i dont have a stand or anyone to hold it upright for me, not to mention im just not mechanical.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Replace the bleed valve with a speed bleeder. It has a one way valve that allows you to go it alone. I just changed the fluid in my '05, probably for the first time. It was nasty. You don't need a stand. Just turn the wheel to the left to get the master cylinder mostly level. Now if you're going to change the brake line, getting the air out can be a challenge.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Do the fluids yourself, take the money you were gonna spend on a mechanic for your fluid changes and spend it on new tires. All that stuff is real easy to do once you lose the fear of doing it wrong. If I was in your area I would've come over and helped you out just for the fun of it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts