Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a new project for your review. I went looking for a '70 C10 and added this '06 C50 into the mix. It looks pretty straight forward and should take a weekend to have all clean and running. For now, I'm planning on running it in it's current spec. I might mod it after my buddy (the seller) deploys. We'll see. Please PM me if you have the stock seats for this guy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's a nice project, but I have to ask what on earth happened to the seats for them to end up like that?

Welcome from the UK. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm.

So you know that great feeling you get when you buy a new bike? My buddy bought the C50 brand new, added a few accessories and rode it for a few years. Bought a used HD street glide and put a cover on the zook. He traded the street glide in on a brand new one when the cover rotted off the C50 and never looked at it again.

I have a history of being the "Home for Wayward Motorcycles" and couldn't resist. I'll resurrect this guy on principle. It should be considerably easier than my '60s Hondas and vintage Goldwing endeavors.

Oh, and this is southern Colorado by the way! Luckily, there's no corrosion or rust.

·
Super Moderator
25,722 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Good luck with the restoration. Looking forward to pics of the final product.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Good luck. Regardless of it sitting in southern Colorado, unless the tank was properly prepared before it was put away, it is highly likely that you are going to find rust in the tank, fuel pump and elsewhere in the engine. The alcohol used as an oxygenator in fuel will attract moisture from the atmosphere. Any leftover gas will collect the water and then that water will rust the inside of the tank. That said, there are no shortcuts when cleaning it out. If the rust is bad enough, you're better off replacing it with a different tank. Rot is going to affect every piece of rubber on the bike. Every hose needs to be inspected and replaced, including the tires. The rot is going to come from a combination of UV exposure as well as ozone concentrations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries. I've been down this road many times before. Rubber is actually in reasonable condition. I think that is was saved by the monster tree canopy that killed the seats. And yeah, the first peek inside the fuel tank is always fun. I have quite a few tricks up my sleeve for it but admit to being very curious about its condition with the alcohol as you mentioned. I prefer to strip bikes like this down for cleaning and inspection first, then reassemble as each item is verified. I doubt that this one will need to go down to motor and frame only. I cut my teeth on Honda CBs starting with the 350 twin and working all the way up the range to my 82 GL1100. I might photo document the process if there's any interest in it. Work will commence in a few weeks as I'm arranging transportation around my buddies pre-deployment appointments. Stay tuned!

·
Super Moderator
20,795 Posts
welcome...hate to see mc's totally neglected...reminds me guys who bring children into the world then forgets they exist...good for you to actually enjoy bringing these machines back to life...feel free to update us as you go along...would be fun and informative t follow....probably won't understand any of the technical stuff but thats cause I'm admittingly clueless but still like to learn. Enjoy the project and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
58,222 Posts
Nice looking bike. Looks like it was a cool ride. Empty canvas. Looking forward to it's "resurrection "

Social distancing since 1954

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Oh wait.
I read the title wrong.
Never mind. ;)

But welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agh! Bad flashbacks of de-winterizing swimming pools! All kinds of dead stuff in the skimmer basket. Nothing's worse than angry wasps in the exhaust of the only motorcycle in the salvage yard that you want parts from!!! I seem to remember carb cleaner flamethrowers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts