Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am 63 and have been riding off and on since 1973.
I have had 3 Honda's, a Kawa Concours and my current ride which is a Yamaha v-star 650. It is a good bike for around town but lacking on the freeways.
I am very interested in getting a C50T Boulevard.
It is not so big that I can't handle it and seems to be a good choice for my needs.
I ride mainly in town, but like to cruise the highways once in a while.

I am thinking of either a 2008 or 2009 C50T.
I understand the 2009 has a some differences, including the 4 spark plugs. I read reviews that say it is
a better performing bike and has a higher 5th gear, but also I read the 2008 overall is just as good of a bike, so not sure what to get?

I also had one nagging question in the back of my mind.
Why do some C50T's have emblems "C50T" on the side panels and some don't??

I am hoping to find one for around $4500-$5800, depending on how they are equipped and if I will need
to ship it.

I need a bike that is light enough for me to handle, yet acceptable performance for touring .

From what I have read, the Suzuki C50T appears to be what I would be most comfortable with and will do what I want it to do.

I had the Kawasaki Concours 1000. It was a great bike on the highway. But it was extremely top heavy and was getting too hard for me to handle.

My Yamaha is much easier to handle, but not so good on the highways.
I am hoping the C50T will be a good choice.
I am sure I will have a lot of questions later.
I will not be seriously looking to purchase one for about another 4-8 weeks, but in the meantime, I want to learn as much as possible about them, their performance, durability and other things.

Glad to be here,

Jim

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Hello, form Ohio!
I believe the 5th gear ratio is the same for all C50s.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. The C50T is the touring model, which has factory bags, windshield. Some are just C50, no windshield or bags.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The T came with factory windshield, driver floorboards, and studded leather bags. I think that is the only difference. Don't know where you are located, but you should have no trouble finding a Boulevard in that price range. Check this site for bikes for sale, use searchtempest.com.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good morning Jim
I am a new C50T rider and due to the weather (Ontario Canada) I don't have as many km's on her as I would like. I came from a Suzuki GSXF 650 which was taller and top heavy and I found parking her at times difficult even though I am tall. I can move the C50T quite easily and it makes for less stress. My hubby started on the 650 yamaha and traded it in for the same reasons you are. So far I am really happy with my bike. We picked up a new 2013 for a decent price and we got such a good deal on the trade that it made sense.
Let us know when you find a bike.

Katie

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I've got an '05 C50 but I've added OEM bags and a windshield, so it's essentially a T model. If the badge says T that just means it came from the factory with bags and a shield, nothing else is different. Don't worry about the letter when looking, just consider them all C50's.

As for the gear ratio, I have no idea. I didn't think they had changed the gear ratios, but I could be wrong. I'll be honest and tell you that my C50 is great on the back roads and rides easy up until about 70, but past 70 the engine starts to scream a bit. Swapping out the drive with a C90, otherwise referred to as a DJ drive, works, but if you haven't bought yet, maybe you should rethink.

If you're planning on doing a lot of highway miles, have you thought about buying a C90? The 90 is essentially the same frame with a 1500cc engine, rear disc brakes, and a higher 5th gear. The weight and wheel base are very close to each other, so I suspect they handle similarly. Also, the 90 has the tank below the seat, so it has a very low center of gravity.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with Whiskey.
Too buzzy on the freeway without the DJ drive, (average cost $600) not counting labour.

Also agree with Motive.
5th is the same for all years of C50, (what you heard about the new ones having a long 5th gear is just an advertising gimmick).

Think about it.

·
Super Moderator
20,463 Posts
morning...as for the c90...smoother ride on the highway...purrs not winds...and only 100 lbs heavier than the c50...found for me...at 62...pretty much the limit of a bike i want to own weightwise, just in case I get careless and forget to put the kickstand down when dismounting...also self adjusting valves...a nice feature...both great bikes.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
According to the reviewers the newer 2009 and up bikes with the four plugs deliver a few more ponies over a wider range which is what I would expect from upgraded two plugs per cylinder. The other noteworthy change is a digital readout of the gear something I keep thinking I may add to my 2007 C50. One more thing my riding buddy with a 2010 C50T model says the seat is better with all his previous bikes he has always added a Mustang Seat like I did with my 2007 but claims his 2010 seat is more comfortable on long rides and he doesn't need a Mustang Seat. Don't know about the pillion seat I don't think he's ever had a passenger. He uses the pillion for extra luggage on longer trips.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! If you plan on riding 400 miles per day on the Freeway at 70mph+, the recommendations from others will come into play (c90 or dj drive/changing to a larger final drive). If you rarely ride the freeway for more than an hour, I think you will be fine on the c50. I ride all around town and the c50 is great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the welcome and information. It is very helpful. I appreciate the comments about the C90, but I am hesitant to have a bike heavier than the C50T. That is why I sold my Kawasaki Concours. Too heavy and was top heavy. I have had numerous surgeries on my shoulders and arms and do not have a lot of strength in them, so I need something that is as easy to handle at slow speeds and parking as possible.
I have no idea what the dj drive is, but I will look into it. Right now, I would say that 95% of my use of the bike will be local. I may take a drive to Memphis from time to time which is 90 miles from me, but only about 1 a month if that. Other than that, my daily use will probably be local only.
Thanks again for all the responses. I hope to find something soon. Right now, I am still waiting to arrange financing, but that may take a month or so. I really like the red and white 2008, but I also like the 2009 instrument panel and the slightly better engine performance. I am just looking for the best deal and also the best equipped bike for the buck. I have seen virtually nothing available around me . Looks like I will have to ship which will add to the price. I planned on having a crash bar, lightbar, trunk, gel handle grips and a mustang seat to start with. Any suggestions for the trunk and lightbar would also be helpful.
Thanks again .
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Good luck with your decision on the C50, you will surely enjoy it! Welcome from North Carolina!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts