Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Before I pull the trigger on new tires and inner tubes, I just want to double check with you guys that everything will work properly on my bike. The inner tubes are more of a concern than the tires, since I double checked the tire sizes that are presently on my bike. But comments on the quality of the tires is appreciated. Right now, I have inner tubes with the 90 degree stems, and I like that. So, I'd like to keep it that way.

Here's what I got in my Amazon cart right now. I can't tell if the Michelin inner tube has the 90 degree stem.

Also... do I need new rim strips?

Advice appreciated...

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want those items faster, get them from DennisKirk.com, I just bought basically the same thing except in whitewalls and got it in 2 days, free shipping. Got my tires yesterday after ordering Tuesday evening.

·
Registered
634 Posts
do I need new rim strips?
well it keeps the spokes from punching holes in the tube and if you are short of cash you can use duct/duck tape

Reactions: Buck62

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's really no need to replace rim strips if they're intact. I re-use them routinely. And when they have broken, I usually can't be arsed to buy a new one and just run tape over the spoke nipples. Works just fine. Neither one is going to save the tube if a spoke lets go and stabs through it, it's just there to soften the edges from rubbing on the tube while in use.

Tire companies suggest replacing tubes at every change, to me that's overkill if they are not damaged, and not over >5 years old. Technically "the right thing to do" is change them regardless, but you're also supposed to replace your rubber brake lines every 5 years, how many people follow that recommendation?

Amazon doesn't sell much bike/automotive stuff, they contract with various small third party sellers. Some are OK some not so much, and prices are usually nothing special since Amazon is the middleman and has to get their slice of the pie. I usually suggest sticking with an actual motorcycle specific retailer. Dennis Kirk, RM ATV (they usually have the best prices on tires), or Revzilla I've all had consistently good results with. I usually cross shop them and go with whoever has the best deal. I routinely get stuff in 1-2 days even standard shipping, as WPS (Western Powersports, a major parts distributor all major retailers buy from), has a warehouse in Dallas and they will usually just drop-ship right to you if it's faster than from their HQ.

MC Superstore used to be my go-to, but after a series of messed up orders and completely useless customer support I bailed on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts