Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever thought about removing the rear cylinders muffler section, the top section from the exhaust right behind the "H" pipe section and then plugging it so both cylinders exhaust get routed down through the remaining lower muffler unit? Sorta like making your own 2 into1 custom exhaust. I understand that the remaining muffler would need to be drilled and or have the plates knocked out of it to give added breathing area since now "both" cylinders would be passing through the same muffler. Do you think it would cause the motor to run hotter than normal? Would it mess up the fuel delivery system like cause lean or rich problems? Or maybe just remove both muffler sections right behind the "H" pipe and put chrome turn downs on the pipes and run them straight without any muffler? This would be on a 2013 C50. Anyone got any thoughts or advice on this idea?

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think it's possible, looking at the exhausts you can buy, but a DIY project sounds like opening a can of worms to me. No muffler would get you the wrong sort of attention, for sure.
I'm not a mechanic or engineer, so may be wrong.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
The down tube in the header is less than 1" in diameter. The H pipe between the exhaust is there to balance the pressure between the two separate exhaust channels. If you were to try to force both cylinders into a single muffler, I would suspect you would develop serious issues when compression braking as the single pipe would be trying to suck air back in at the same time that the other side is trying to send exhaust gasses out.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think the 2nd option is better for the engine if the FI is also modified to match.

You'll also need some ear protection!

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
Straight pipes on these bikes sounds like crap. There is no bass, no rumble, just a high pitch, raspy, unpleasant noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Straight pipes on these bikes sounds like crap. There is no bass, no rumble, just a high pitch, raspy, unpleasant noise.
Man I hear ya! These and the yamaha 650 v-stars all sound like smaller bikes than what they really are when running loud pipes. I love the deep rumble of the stock exhaust but wish it was a little louder.
Ray

·
Registered
197 Posts
I banged a hole in mine, (both exhausts) then a little bigger, and now it sounds great.
Be careful you don't hit the catalytic converter.
Listen to this with headphones or speakers. This is my bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I banged a hole in mine, (both exhausts) then a little bigger, and now it sounds great.
Be careful you don't hit the catalytic converter.
Listen to this with headphones or speakers. This is my bike.
So all you did was drive the 3/4 bar down both your pipes? Did you knock out both plates? And you didn't drill the end plate at all?
Thanks
Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts