Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got regeared up after selling our old Spyder stuff years ago. I purchased a Bilt 3/4 helmet on sale for under $100 but after a few trips it’s just a tad too tight. It’s an xxl. My last helmet was an xl. I’m going with an open face and need a sun visor drop down. Budget $200-300?

·
Super Moderator
20,507 Posts
going to assume you got the helmet at Cycle Gear in Vernon...buy lots of stuff there...great return policy...bring it back and exchange it for the next size up or towards something else you can try on.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going to assume you got the helmet at Cycle Gear in Vernon...buy lots of stuff there...great return policy...bring it back and exchange it for the next size up or towards something else you can try on.
I’m really just looking for suggestions on a good brand/model.

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
Check out Scorpion helmets Jim

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
Here is another vote for HJC; my last 3/4 helmet was an HJC. You get a lot of quality for the price, IMHO.

(Disclaimer: I've stopped wearing HJC because I found that Shoei simply fits me better.)

·
Super Moderator
20,507 Posts
guess you must have lost your sense of humor in the years you've been away Jim...sorry if some answers here don't fit the bill, but they are actually meant with good intentions...won't waste my time anymore...have a good day Dog.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Helmets can be tricky these days. Depending on if your head is more round or oval shape, there are certain brands you can choose. Of course, you want the pads tight at first but not so tight you get a headache. I am sure you know all of this from previous experience. Good luck with your choice. Here's some help:

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
Here is another vote for HJC; my last 3/4 helmet was an HJC. You get a lot of quality for the price, IMHO.

(Disclaimer: I've stopped wearing HJC because I found that Shoei simply fits me better.)

As far as a budget helmet is concerned, the HJC is a great buy. Saved mine and my daughter's head.

If money is no object, I will echo the recommendation for the Shoei. It is hands down the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn.

·
Super Moderator
25,276 Posts
I recently purchased a Schuberth C3 and am very happy with it. It's a modular, but I'm sure Schuberth has a 3/4 in their lineup.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Head shape plays as big a role in helmet comfort as the size, if not more. My head feels squashed in a XXXL Shoei or Arai, but an XL HJC is perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
As far as a budget helmet is concerned, the HJC is a great buy. Saved mine and my daughter's head.

If money is no object, I will echo the recommendation for the Shoei. It is hands down the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn.
Another entry in the "money is no object" category is Arai. I have a particularly long oval head shape and their Signet-X is the only helmet on the market that fits me properly. Stupid expensive, but a well-built, quality helmet with great ventilation. In your budget, TDJ, the HJC is a great option. I have had several, all full face and 1 modular, and other than the shape, they have been very good.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I’m really just looking for suggestions on a good brand/model.
I'll second: look into Scorpion helmets: http://scorpionusa.com/product-category/helmets/open-half/

I haven't tried Scorpion 3/4 helmets though. I have a Scorpion full-face helmet. It looks nice, has decent ventilation, and is around $240 for a full face with internal drop-down sun visor and a few other features. Additionally, their warranty service was stellar (link: https://www.volusiariders.com/68-vendors-accessories/415160-scorpion-helmets-warranty-customer-service-experience.html)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the suggestions. I realize now all my other helmets were Scorpions. I really just need one that offers me good protection and is comfortable to wear. I’ll be checking out all of the ones mentioned. This Bilt one seemed ok at first but after 200 miles it’s bothering my left ear. Thanks again.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a Bell Rogue that isn't too bad as a open face helmet. It's comfortable and has a face guard that attaches by magnets. I personally prefer full face but I do occasionally like an open one if I have to ride on very hot days.

·
Super Moderator
25,276 Posts
If your previous helmets were Scorpions, you may just want to stick with them. Every time I've tried one on they are extremely irritating to me. They seem to have a very round shell that doesn't fit my head. I haven't found another brand that irritates me that much, so I'd guess that you just have that shape head and probably won't be fully comfortable in anything else. I'd definitely recommend you try the helmet on before buying it if you go with another brand.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts