Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good stuff! Thanks guys!
Hey guys l just signed up to the group. I’ve been reading the comments for the last couple of weeks and l’m really learning a lot. I’ve been off and on bikes pretty much from hi school. Both on and off road. I’m now 72 and loving life. Worked till l was 70 to finally save up some money so l could retire. 🤪Lol.. I just purchase a new 2019 C50 Boulevard 800 and love the bike 👍
My last bike was 6 years ago and was a used Yamaha FJR 1100 with 11 K miles and was a awesome bike. I sold it because l was still working and traveling to much to ever ride the bike
and l have always believed anything mechanical that’s not used on a regular basis just becomes a maintenance nightmare 😱
I have right at 471 miles and going back to the shop at 600 miles for my break in service and to N stall a very much needed windshield and roll bar.
l live in the DFW area and have very quickly realized once you get on the Interstate they will absolutely run you over if your traveling under 75 to 80. Unfortunately for me lm land locked in any direction to get out to country roads where 60 to 65 is a great cruising speed.
I love the stability and ride of the C50, but; is it to small to compete with these crazy 4 wheelers ?

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
We too love the bike, but it is NOT ever going to be a competent freeway cruiser - at least without major mechanical intervention.

You just spent a lot of money to find out that the bike is just "ok" on the highway. There are options, such as a set of pipes, high flow intake and fuel processor which will net you 4 or 5 hp (depends on your tune and what you purchase), but it's going to set you back a grand, unless you buy used. You can also invest in the "DJ Drive" which will bring down your RPMs at a given speed and make it more comfortable, but it's going to set you back another $500. That is just the basics.

If you want to get exotic, a new member wants to sell custom cams and pistons, to squeeze more power out of the mildly tuned engine, but if you choose to go this route it means paying a mechanic several hundred dollars to thousands of dollars in labor, over and above the cost of parts.

For the cost of the bike, you have to ask yourself if it is worth putting the money into it. Bolt ons can only do so much. More expensive mechanical upgrades will get you more power, but it is going to cost pretty much what the bike is worth to purchase and install. There is no right or wrong answer, just what you are most comfortable with.

Personally, I would look for another FJR or a used ST1300 for the speeds you need to keep up with.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You wanna cruise at 100 mph I suggest a Gold Wing, these bikes are too short and too light for that kinda speed to be anything close to enjoyable.
I used to set the cruise on my Caddy Coupe DeVille at 100 (or better) and it floated along like you were on a cloud, nowadays in a MUCH smaller/lighter car 100 feels like 125.

·
Super Moderator
30,910 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I've split you off into your own thread so you can get more attention than replying to a 6 year old thread.

The C50 doesn't really do well on the interstate. It will do it, but it's light and low powered, so it gets pushed around and you don't have a lot of reserve to get out of the way. Sorry, but it is what it is. Try to stick to highways with a 55 speed limit, or use the HOV lanes so you stay out of the regular traffic. Off of the interstate, it is a great bike.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Welcome from Florida :)
I've run both a Volusia & a C50 on the interstate. Did 80-85 without a problem. Yes, it will sound like you're running it to death, but it will do it. You have to be extra vigilant because you will not have much in reserve to get out of the way. If you have to get on the interstate to get to the back roads, just be aware of how your bike responds.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Welcome to VR from Oklahoma. I'm sure sorry about you having to live in Texas.:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts