Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a new drive I received from Motiv. Read here it takes about 3 hours. Took me all day---sort of like Gilligan's three hour tour. Had to clean out a spot in garage, gather tools, get everything together. Longest part of the job was elongating the holes, like everyone said. I took the time to grind off the back of the swingarm, then paint it and reinstall. Took a short test ride around the block, everything seemed OK. Hope to get a longer ride in tomorrow.

Question, I used blue locktite on the nuts n bolts---both on the drive and the swingarm. Was this necessary???? The bolts on the swingarm had blue visible on them.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Blue threadlocker is always a good plan.

It's a lot better than the sign "If parts fall off Please Honk"

·
Registered
988 Posts
The loctite certainly won't hurt here. One overlooked item is putting Permatex RTV or similar gasket sealant between the plates where the swing arm attaches to the drive. It helps keep water out of there from rusting out the drive shaft.

Most importantly make sure you you have applied a generous amount of Honda Moly grease to both splined ends of the drive shaft.

Congratulations on doing one of the best mods you can do to your bike. Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The loctite certainly won't hurt here. One overlooked item is putting Permatex RTV or similar gasket sealant between the plates where the swing arm attaches to the drive. It helps keep water out of there from rusting out the drive shaft.
Thanks for the timely advice as my drive is currently in the process of being changed. it's taking me a lot longer than one day though, the swingarm stud on the vs 1400 drive wouldn't come out no matter what I tried and I decided to change the rear tire while it was off the bike, I dropped them both off at the local independent shop and I'm waiting for it to be done.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Most importantly make sure you you have applied a generous amount of Honda Moly grease to both splined ends of the drive shaft.

Congratulations on doing one of the best mods you can do to your bike. Let us know how you like it.
By plates do you mean the shim? I had never seen that recomendation before. Maybe I can do it on the next driveshaft lube.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the timely advice as my drive is currently in the process of being changed. it's taking me a lot longer than one day though, the swingarm stud on the vs 1400 drive wouldn't come out no matter what I tried and I decided to change the rear tire while it was off the bike, I dropped them both off at the local independent shop and I'm waiting for it to be done.
There is usually one bolt or nut that just won't cooperate every time I start a job. Thought it was just me. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That shim is a lockplate for the pinion nut. It has a soft powdercoat that can seal but a thin coat of RTV is a good idea on both sides of it. The locktite is good too.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just picked up the tire and the drive from. the shop, they said they couldn't get the stud out either, is there some kind of a trick to getting it out? anybody know how to get that stud out, what's involved?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update

Took a longer, (130 mile), ride today, 2 up. Low end quite a bit different, high end nicer. In town I have a tendency to up shift quickly, then lug the engine a bit. With the new drive, I'll need to stop that. Running at 75 felt like it used to around 65. My lady could even feel the difference on the slab. Thanks Motiv.

One other thing added over the winter---VA lowers. I wear a3/4 helmet with shield and my glasses used to vibrate around. Now they don't. I Like it!

·
Registered
795 Posts
They loctite them suckers in
I used a little heat and a two foot breaker bar .
I could only get a 1/4 turn on it at first , I just kept using penitrating oil,heat and time

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Don't want to hijack , just want to say thank you for your suggestion it worked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts