Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so it took about 2-3 weeks from the US, but i finally got my clutch kit.. now althought im mechanically apt, i usually only work on cars.. not bikes.. but i will be riding my bike to my dads on the 12th of Nov and be fitting the clutch with him :wayhappy: So with my kit, i got 4 springs, gasket,clutch plate and steelies, ive had a look at the stickys on here and it looks pretty straight forward which is good, i guess also while im at it, maybe before i actually do the clutch, ill adjust the tappets as well - road to recovery underway! ive got all the info i need, should be pretty straight forward :D is there any thing in particular i should look for when doing this replacement clutch? ive also ordered a Stebel nautilus horn, new grips as the old ones wernt very nice, and some new mirrors as the old ones had some pitting didnt look the part..

Now my front tyre is a white wall tyre, but my back one isnt, doesnt look right.. does anyone know of some. stick on? or iron on ones, i know u can get flapper style but thatd involve taking the tyre off the rim. suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Like 03vol said, soak your fiber clutches and lube the steel plates as you install them. I soaked my fiber plates in oil and stored them in a large Ziploc bag a few days before I planned on doing the changeover.

Make sure you install the correct fiber plate first... large inner diameter.

Don't over torque the 4 clutch bolts. Use a torque wrench calibrated in INCH/pounds. The spec is 88 in/lb and they will snap VERY easily.

I replaced mine when I installed the Barnett kit. I also used the lowest strength Loctite I could find... blue will work but ONE DROP IS MORE THAN ENOUGH.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obviously ill have to do a full clutch adjustment also??. Theyre all in seperate bags at the moment so its easy to tell which is the first plate to go on. I will soak the plates atleast 2 days. Before i go down and i might use the same method as you. Ziplock bags. I guess it reduces the risk of contamination dirt and other things. I wire my stebel up tonight :D also bought a 1/8th torque wrench in Nm. Goes up in .2 of a Nm i think in Nm its 9Nm i will make sure before i do it. Or shud i buy some new ones? What should i buy if i do? Go to my local bolt barn and see if they got a match or would it need to be oem?

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Obviously ill have to do a full clutch adjustment also??.

Theyre all in seperate bags at the moment so its easy to tell which is the first plate to go on.

I will soak the plates atleast 2 days. Before i go down and i might use the same method as you. Ziplock bags. I guess it reduces the risk of contamination dirt and other things.

I wire my stebel up tonight :D

also bought a 1/8th torque wrench in Nm. Goes up in .2 of a Nm i think in Nm its 9Nm i will make sure before i do it.

Or shud i buy some new ones? What should i buy if i do? Go to my local bolt barn and see if they got a match or would it need to be oem?
The Stebel is great isn't it!!!

Book says 10Nm or 88in/lb

So far as the Clutch bolts go, I'm a bit anal about some things so I'll leave that choice up to you. I'm not sure of the length/size/thread pitch tell you that if you went with something other than OEM.

I'm more comfortable with the oem on such things unless I've investigated it more than I have at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
And YES you'll need a full clutch adjustment after the install and a readjustment after a couple hundred miles would be a good backup.

Reactions: mstrrab1992

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Havent managed to get the stebel on just yet, got the wiring all done, what a finicky job :O but i got it! now.. something i didnt take into consideration, the mouting of the horn!

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Maybe list a few pics, for future mods to others. Well done.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will take some in the morning. my mounting and my wire installation is a bit different to all i have seen on here o.o... but i guess each to their own.. where i got the relay atm is only temp, well the way it is atm but i will take some more photos tomorrow of the whole installation process, i just figured how i will mount it. but! ill keep ya'll updated to what i do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.