Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased my son a 2005 C50 for his first motorcycle. He's still finishing up some things for his Eagle Scout before I'll let him take the MSF course. So... I've been riding the bike quite a bit for him. So far, I love this C50 - torquey and easy to ride.

However, the previous owner either modified the stock pipes (removed the baffles?) or replaced them with aftermarket pipes. They are loud - annoyingly loud. I can't imagine riding this bike for any distance with that much noise.

My question is, if he removed the baffles, can that be reversed? If not, any suggestions on replacement pipes that sound good, but still reasonably quiet on the highway?

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definitely aftermarket, should have a name on the pipes... I'm sure someone will chime in but look like Cobra's to me??? If so should be able to install or repack the baffles.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Could be Hard Chrome - which are LOUD. I'd check with your son first as some folks like their bikes loud. I wore ear plugs for mine - also helps with wind noise. If these are too loud for him you could look for stock pipes, there are lots of folks who might have a set lying around after installing after market pipes.

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
Those most definitely are NOT stock pipes. Could be Cobra or any number of aftermarket suppliers. Getting baffles for them will be difficult. Your best best is to post them in the Swap Meet for a set of stockers. Someone, somewhere always wants to ruin a perfectly good motorcycle with unnecessarily loud pipes like what are on your bike now. They're more than happy to give up their stockers in even trade. Keeps from cluttering up their garage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure where you are located but here in good ole Ontario, Canada, I've seen a few sets of stock c50 pipes on kijiji for around $150. Then you could keep the LOUD ones for when he gets bored with the stocks. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Got ahold of Chris @ Smartpartz and it looks like he has some baffles that will fit those pipes for around $70. He says should reduce the noise by 6-10 dB. Still can't tell what brand they are - there are no markings anywhere on them that I can see.

·
Registered
23,533 Posts
There is usually some stock ones on ebay. It takes some looking but a lot of m/c junk yards with good pipes. Pinwall_cycle comes to mind. I've had good dealings with them.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'm not sure which pipes those are but, they aren't stock. Here is a link that shows many different pipes that are available:

http://www.volusiariders.com/70-jet...termarket-exhaust-visual-reference-guide.html

If you're looking for something quieter, I'd keep an eye on the Swap Meet to see if someone is looking to sell their stock pipes.

I agree.... I'm sure someone will come along who is looking to switch out their stock pipes and be willing to sell them. You might also check on craigslist in your area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up finding a set of used pipes on Craigslist for $75 that appear to be in very good shape. I think I'll go that route instead of the aftermarket baffles. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23,533 Posts
That's what usually happens here. Questions answered with multiple choices that work.
Good luck with the pipes. Might want to put in new gaskets while you're in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.